Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an older (1993) Cape Horn 17. I really like this boat, so I've started a bit of a renovation project on her. I've re-done the console to suit my needs, but am looking at other upgrades. I'm pulling the two captains chairs in favor of a swing-back cooler-seat, and I'm putting tackle storage stations in the console.

Here's where I'm really looking for some help: I'd like to put some insulated fish boxes in the deck, behind the helm seating. Most folks call them "hip fish boxes," at least on bigger boats. I don't want to go hog-wild cutting the deck (and possibly structural components) when I start this little project. Does anyone know if there's room for the fish boxes, and/or if there is a danger of hitting any structural components? I'd be grateful for any information y'all can provide.

·
Registered
9,511 Posts
i cant imagine a 17 foot boat of any kind having enough room below deck for a fish box of any size.
What he said waste of time putting fish in a deck stowage on a day boat. Just put them in a cooler ice em as you catch them then take off boat. A lot less work. Plus all that melting ice and slime winds up in the bilges.

·
Jaded Old Phart
5,850 Posts
Sounds like you're pretty handy. What about making a custom cooler up front between the front of the console and the start of the bow deck?
You can make it permanent or removable.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
I have a 94 CH 17, redid it a few years ago due to a rotted deck. There is room for some smaller in floor boxes all over the place you just have to remove the foam, I did and it is a smelly messy thing to do but well worth it in the end. I did not put floor boxes in by the way, but added a rear casting deck.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is weird; I submitted a reply to this thread & it isn't showing up.

Anyway, seems KPTN was right. There isn't much room, but there is a little, as tbaxl pointed out. The folks at Cape Horn sent me the attached image of the hull pre-deck installation.

I'm just trying to free up as much deck space as possible, since going out is usually a trip-fest for us. A typical outting has us hauling one cooler for drinks & snacks, another cooler for caught fish, a couple beach chairs, the Magma grill, a bucket with casting net, a tackle box, a bubbler bucket for bait to fish inland ponds at Horn, a bag full beach-junk (sunscreen, bug spray, towels, etc.), a spare (stern) anchor a host of fishing rods, and anything else the Admiral gets a whim to lug along. You'd think I was a gymnast if you ever saw me trying to get from the helm to the anchor locker when we arrive at the island.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
I will add, it is much easier to make a plan with the deck out like I had, not sure I would want to start cutting holes in the floor if everything is solid, no to mention removing foam through a hatch opening.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts