Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got about a foot long crack in the hull of my Old Town Discovery canoe. The crack isn't deep enough to go all the way through, but definitely needs to be fixed.

Anyone know of a place locally that does such repairs? Old Town sells a kit, but I'm worried I'd screw up the patch job. Thanks.

·
Registered
782 Posts
is it aluminum or fiberglass? i am assuming fiberglass since you said it hasn't gone all the way thru. you should be able to drill a hole on each end of the crack so that it stops running, then it should be very easy to glass over. is it in a stressfull area that bares alot of weight in use?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a polyethylene hull. The crack runs front to back right under the front seat, so yeah, it's a high stress area. My buddy stands there when he bass fishes, so it sees a lot of weight. About half the canoes that those places on the Blackwater rent are the same type, so I bet they have good resources for patching them.

I'll probably just drill stop the crach and patch it, but would rather have it done by someone who knows what they are doing! Thanks for the input!

To all you yakers out there, should I just ditch it and buy a fishing kayak???

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Drill a hole like said before but if the crack is so bad that you think it needs addressing then go by Odom's Fiberglass on Avalon Blvd and get them to seal up the crack. Just a thought. If not then go by Home Depot and buy a tube of sealer that says it is good for Marine application and seal it yourself. Just a thought.

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Are you interested in selling it? I had one stolen the 1st week of hunting season, I might take a shot at making it float.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks all. I'm going to try to keep the canoe, so I'll give the repair a shot and see how it floats! Might be awhile before I get around to it, but I'll post a report if I remember to.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Double checked it last night .... it IS the West System 650 available/order at West Marine stores. Made specifically for plastic & rubber.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts