Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
DROP TINE BUCK
5,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was walking around a "dredge spoil" pile the other day and found this, a solid steel ball about 2.5" in diameter, ya think its a cannonball? image.jpg

·
Registered
6,242 Posts
I diffently see the mold seam they describe in the url last cast posted.

I would say a cannon ball. Year???? Might be from a famous pirate like jimmy Buffett: )

·
Super Moderator
28,155 Posts
Cool find!!! Looks like a cannon ball!

·
C-Hawk 245 Pilot House
5,126 Posts
I found one in Arkansas where I was digging out for a water line. Gave it to a friend that was a Civil War buff. Though I'd given him a $100 bill.

The small ones are solid and safe, the larger ones usually are hollow and filled with explosives. They can be dangerous.

·
DROP TINE BUCK
5,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think it's one and I'm gonna call it a cannonball!! Lol, bunch of guys I work work with and showed when I found it said I was crazy, they was saying it wAs a ball bearing..... Lol

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Back in the mid 70's When I was around 15 years old my brother was diving around the pass and found a large cannon ball. He brought it to the house and it had a brass plug with an 1861 date on it. managed to loosen the plug in the garage and it started hissing when it was loosened up. Ran around the corner of the house till it quit making a noise...stupid is as stupid does.

Once it hit the air it rusted apart in basically no time. Wished we would have done something to try and preserve it.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Back in the sixties my dad used to dive them up in the pass and to keep them from rusting to pieces they would build a large fire and throw them in them till the fire died down. And no they did not hang out by the fire, they had some brains left back in the 60's

·
Registered
6,391 Posts
I found an old practice bomb at Ft. McCree a few years back. It was just a blob of metal until I dropped it one day and a piece broke off. Then I could see a tail fin. So I chipped away with a hammer until I had a for sure bomb.

Then (here's the trick) I put on a dozen coats of that acrylic spray stuff. It still looks shiny and hasn't rusted anymore. I did drop it an bust off the back fins though dammit.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Found another Mark 23 practice bomb on Ol River yesterday. They look like hard sandy potatoes. I was told when I was kid that the area was used for practice by the Army Aircorp during WW2. If I can find a whole one, I'd give it to Chase to clean up in his electrolysis vat.

Attachments

·
Registered
220 Posts
Back in the mid 70's When I was around 15 years old my brother was diving around the pass and found a large cannon ball. He brought it to the house and it had a brass plug with an 1861 date on it. managed to loosen the plug in the garage and it started hissing when it was loosened up. Ran around the corner of the house till it quit making a noise...stupid is as stupid does.

Once it hit the air it rusted apart in basically no time. Wished we would have done something to try and preserve it.
In the 60's we were diving the pass on an old Paddle Wheeler (Johnson Bank ) that sunk way back when in about 60 feet and found several old 100 pounders with the brass plugs, with the 1800's stamped on them. My dad did some research on them through a friend that was with EOD on the base and found out that some have timed fuses. It's a vile with acid or something that brakes when shot and takes a certain amount of time to explode. Found out a lot have fuses and a lot are solid shot. We got the plug out and emptied the water out and it was purple! It drained down our driveway and down the hill to a gutter and a couple of days later my brother set it off accidently when he was welding over the stain on the concrete. It flashed and burned out the driveway and down the hill and into the gutter. Moral of the story don't be an idiot and beat on the brass plug to open it up, it could go Boom. There are still a lot of them out their, I know we left several out their after that experience.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Who amung us old divers and fisherman remember the Blue practice bombs laying all around the Massachusetts from when the Navy use to bomb it. I'm talking back in the 50's....That's not how it was sunk, but they did use it for target practice.

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
Who amung us old divers and fisherman remember the Blue practice bombs laying all around the Massachusetts from when the Navy use to bomb it. I'm talking back in the 50's....That's not how it was sunk, but they did use it for target practice.
When we could still drive out to Ft Mcrae to go fishing, we found quite a few of the old blue practice bombs . Guess some pilots were more accurate than others.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts