Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friends told me that i could sell my fish to joe patties for extra cash i dont know if that is true or not. i catch red fish pompano and a lot of big mullet. i dont know if i could make a profit off it or not or if it is even possible. any know if you can do this????? please reply it would be a big help for a broke kid tryin to get his truck outta the shop.

·
Praedator
9,914 Posts
surfhunter (3/24/2010)My friends told me that i could sell my fish to joe patties for extra cash i dont know if that is true or not. i catch red fish pompano and a lot of big mullet. i dont know if i could make a profit off it or not or if it is even possible. any know if you can do this????? please reply it would be a big help for a broke kid tryin to get his truck outta the shop.
No you can not. Is it done? It wouldnot surprise me if it happens. You must have a Saltwater Products License (SPL) I believeto sell fish. And you might need a saltwater products wholesale dealers license as well. Not sure on all the things you need to do it legally.

Check out this FAQ from FWC:

http://myfwc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/myfwc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1184&p_created=1045516833&p_sid=5S7k6FXj&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_srch=1&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9NDQsNDQmcF9wcm9kcz0mcF9jYXRzPSZwX3B2PSZwX2N2PSZwX3NlYXJjaF90eXBlPWFuc3dlcnMuc2VhcmNoX25sJnBfcGFnZT0xJnBfc2VhcmNoX3RleHQ9c2VsbA!!&p_li=&p_topview=1

http://myfwc.com/docs/LicensesPermits/SW_SPL_App.pdf

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks i wanted to know if i could or not and i didnt want to go over there with a cooler and make a fool of myself for thanks for savin me the touble and the gas!!!!:toast

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
I wouldn't try...ol Frank might come across the counter after you. :hoppingmad

Many years ago some of the local seafood markets got raided by the Feds for illegal purchasing, and it was quite a show - automatic weapons and all.:usaflag

·
Registered
9,195 Posts
You need a saltwater products license. Plus that SPL must have a RS on it to sell 99% of the species of saltwater fish. Anyone can buy a SPL getting the RS is the catch you must sell $5000 worth of salt water products to get the RS. You ask how can I do that. The answer is by fishing on a boat that has the required license and selling your crew catch share until you have the $5000. Simple answer is unless you are full time and commercial it's just about impossible to get the RS.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
You see, that just is not the way this thing is supposed to work....:poke

How could the system work, if everyone were able to sell what they caught?? Just think about it. The free market system would actually work if that were the case.

Instead, we have to concentrate the power of selling public resources into the hands of a few, thereby making them rich, so they can give big political "donations" (bribes as I call them) to the politicians who allow it to keep happening.

You see, this way, we keep people from being able to better themselves (such as this poor student), and make them utterly dependent on the government.

What a STUPENDOUS plan. And they say progressivism does not exist.....:doh

·
Registered
634 Posts
Right, because if everyone could sell their catch you wouldn't see every trashy person shore fishing or on the pier trying to sell underslot, overslot, or over their limit EVERY single day. That would never happen. :banghead Rules are there for a reason. Some make sense, some don't. If you were talking more about offshore fishing I'd tend to be more lenient, however, this post was about redfish and pompano.

·
Super Moderator
19,476 Posts
angus_cow_doctor (3/24/2010)You see, that just is not the way this thing is supposed to work....:poke

How could the system work, if everyone were able to sell what they caught?? Just think about it. The free market system would actually work if that were the case.

Instead, we have to concentrate the power of selling public resources into the hands of a few, thereby making them rich, so they can give big political "donations" (bribes as I call them) to the politicians who allow it to keep happening.

You see, this way, we keep people from being able to better themselves (such as this poor student), and make them utterly dependent on the government.

Would you buy fish from a guy that is selling it out of the back of his truck. Im sure most of the fish houses know who they are buying their fish from and can at least contacting them if there is a problem.So aguy that fishes can catch a mess of flounder can throw them in thebottom of the boat and not on ice for 8 hours and sell them to someone and not be responsible for what he has done if it makes someone sick?

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Buckethead (3/24/2010)Right, because if everyone could sell their catch you wouldn't see every trashy person shore fishing or on the pier trying to sell underslot, overslot, or over their limit EVERY single day. That would never happen. :banghead Rules are there for a reason. Some make sense, some don't. If you were talking more about offshore fishing I'd tend to be more lenient, however, this post was about redfish and pompano.
Not to start the brew-haha, but maybe, just maybe, if we did not make it so difficult for the average person to get ahead, then maybe they would not be so "trashy"........

I am all for some rules, but when it comes to american ingenuity and ambition, the government is a bigger problem than all the other problems combined.

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
angus_cow_doctor (3/24/2010)
Buckethead (3/24/2010)Right, because if everyone could sell their catch you wouldn't see every trashy person shore fishing or on the pier trying to sell underslot, overslot, or over their limit EVERY single day. That would never happen. :banghead Rules are there for a reason. Some make sense, some don't. If you were talking more about offshore fishing I'd tend to be more lenient, however, this post was about redfish and pompano.
Not to start the brew-haha, but maybe, just maybe, if we did not make it so difficult for the average person to get ahead, then maybe they would not be so "trashy"........

I am all for some rules, but when it comes to american ingenuity and ambition, the government is a bigger problem than all the other problems combined.
amen

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Splittine (3/24/2010)
angus_cow_doctor (3/24/2010)You see, that just is not the way this thing is supposed to work....:poke

Would you buy fish from a guy that is selling it out of the back of his truck.
You are. Except the back of the truck is a rickshaw and it's in vietnam.

·
Registered
9,195 Posts
Cow Doctor you have no clue, Back in the 70s there were no rules on selling fish anyone could sell anywhere. And I might add there were many many times less fishing boats fishing the waters. We are talking about a resource that can be depleated and was in short order depleated as a result of overfishing. Every boat that went out would catch as many fish and sell whatever the fish houses would buy to recap there expenses. Then on Monday they would go back to work at there 40 hour job. Thats the reason the SPL and RS was initiated to stop the overfishing by weekend warriors and non commercial. NOW as a result of those regulations with the Many Many more boats and fishermen in the area the fish populations have rebounded to the point that in my opinion regulations on limits are too restritive for the recreational fishermen. Just think about how many Snapper and Grouper would be left out there now with youridea of a free market. :doh

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
I have only been around since the end of the 70's, so yes, I don't know everything about how it used to be.

All I know is that since I have been around, I need a LAWYER to go fishing with me. For my 2 red snapper, I might add.

I am all for some rules, don't get me wrong Sealark. What we have now is a perversion of how it should be. It is a "Pay-to-Play" system, and the little guy loses every time.

:banghead:banghead:banghead

·
Registered
9,195 Posts
angus_cow_doctor (3/24/2010)I have only been around since the end of the 70's, so yes, I don't know everything about how it used to be.

All I know is that since I have been around, I need a LAWYER to go fishing with me. For my 2 red snapper, I might add.

:banghead:banghead:banghead
One last statement, Just think if things were unregulated for the last 40 years you wouldn't be able to catch any Snapper let alone the two you can now because there wouldn't be any. Like I said before I think the restrictions are too restrictive for the recreational fisherman with the closed seasons imposed.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts