Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was out there yesterday and there was no part of it awash. It’s so far from the official buoy it’s hard to know when you’re getting close to it, so you can catch bait or fish there. Would it be possible to put a small marker like an anchor ball on it?

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
This topic has been beat to death unfortunately dont believe it will ever happen just need to be aware of where it's at and keep your eyes on it

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
I wouldn't count on getting an "official" buoy put on it. If I'm not mistaken it is the property of the National Park Service. They don't have any motivation to put one on it and the Coast Guard/NOAA has their buoy marking the safety corridor to the south of it which is sufficient to protect shipping. Plus it is marked on the navigation charts.

Now, I've been to Louisiana and mobile bay where I've noticed a lot of unofficial PVC pipes marking the channels through the bayous. I can't see anybody complaining if someone took it upon themselves to put a couple of jugs on it.:whistling:

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
I went out there this past winter on a calm day during one of those low winter tides and idled right up there and made waypoints for each end of the wreck, so I always know where it is when the tide is up and I can't see it. :thumbsup:

I doubt you're going to get any official action on getting any further markings of it besides the current buoy.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wouldn't count on getting an "official" buoy put on it. If I'm not mistaken it is the property of the National Park Service. They don't have any motivation to put one on it and the Coast Guard/NOAA has their buoy marking the safety corridor to the south of it which is sufficient to protect shipping. Plus it is marked on the navigation charts.

Now, I've been to Louisiana and mobile bay where I've noticed a lot of unofficial PVC pipes marking the channels through the bayous. I can't see anybody complaining if someone took it upon themselves to put a couple of jugs on it.:whistling:
That’s what I was thinking. It probably wouldn’t last since it’s a archeological preserve, but it sure would be nice to have a reference that wasn’t 300 feet away.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I went out there this past winter on a calm day during one of those low winter tides and idled right up there and made waypoints for each end of the wreck, so I always know where it is when the tide is up and I can't see it. :thumbsup:

I doubt you're going to get any official action on getting any further markings of it besides the current buoy.
That’s a great idea. It would nice to know exactly where each end is.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Never mind....

·
Registered
9,721 Posts
If the wreck buoy was on the wreck the buoy would be used for a tie up and in no time be destroid. Plus how would the coast guard buoy tender get close enough to service it. The mass is displayed on the chart for the area very accurately.

·
Registered
263 Posts
One thing I don't understand is that the coast guard is all about safety, but it is so obvious that the Mass lying just under water where you can't see it is a tremendous safety hazard. As stated, the marker out there is just to separate it from the intercoastal waterway and is of no use to fishermen. I was out there when the Entertainer hit it. I thought after that accident something would be done to mark it.........nope, still there to knock a hole in your boat.

·
Bearded Brotula
11,769 Posts
One thing I don't understand is that the coast guard is all about safety, but it is so obvious that the Mass lying just under water where you can't see it is a tremendous safety hazard. As stated, the marker out there is just to separate it from the intercoastal waterway and is of no use to fishermen. I was out there when the Entertainer hit it. I thought after that accident something would be done to mark it.........nope, still there to knock a hole in your boat.
It's not in the channel. Coast Guard isn't going to bother with it.

·
Registered
531 Posts
After seeing the Mass float away, he may not be able to post. The white coats or the voices in his head strictly forbid it. Poor dude.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Thank you, yes finally, get it flagged. (sarcasm) And I was in Maine a couple weeks back, can we get those rocks flagged and buoyed up too? 18 foot tide, go careful, Uncle Sam is not your mother. What about the docks, piers and seawalls? Can we flag and buoy them up too?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,827 Posts
CCC never came back after that post. HAHAHA
That’s just one in a long list of dumbasssery. He’s got some trophies.

Anything from cleaning a loaded gun and having it go off to almost running over the same wreck that floated off thinking it was a whale.

Wish I could find those threads.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts