Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I catch a fish that is less then 2 pounds on a rod/line with minimal test less then 2 pounds?

I am just getting into spinning fishing and choosing parts for my first fishing system.

For example I'll have this rod (click me)

Model Length Power Line Weight (lb. test) Lure Wt. (oz.) Action Grip Grip

CLTX671M-S 6'7" Medium 2-8 3/16-5/8 Moderate Fast 9"

with this reel (click me)

Model Capacity (yds./lb. test) Gear Ratio Bearings Weight (oz.)

SON1000FB 110/6 6.2:1 4+1 7.7

and a 2 lb fishing line.

Will I be able to catch fish that is less then 2 pounds?, or it will be problematic?

Will I have any problems with through the bait to descent distances?

·
Super Moderator
19,477 Posts
RE: Can I catch a fish that is less then 2 pounds on a rod/line with minimal test less then 2 pounds?

Great choice in rod and reel. If you fishing the flats I would use 10lb suffix mono, if your using it around dock or jettys I would go with a heavier suffix braid. How will you be using the setup.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
RE: Can I catch a fish that is less then 2 pounds on a rod/line with minimal test less then 2 pounds?

Splittine (10/20/2009)Great choice in rod and reel. If you fishing the flats I would use 10lb suffix mono, if your using it around dock or jettys I would go with a heavier suffix braid. How will you be using the setup.
Thanks! I have three questions for you or anyone else who sees it first.

1. Wouldn't it be an overkill to use a 10lb fishing line for a fish that is less then 2lb?

2. Will a fish be able to see the line and perhaps be scared off because of it? I am some kind of sense in fishing lines of different lb testings, or all fishermen would just end up using a 10 pound line for all fish in 2 to 10 pound category...

3. When it says that a line is, for example, 6 lb. Does it mean that I can use it to catch 6 lb fish, or it means that the line will be able to hold up to 10 lb of fishe's resistance, but the actual fish would weight less then 6 lb?

·
Registered
5,956 Posts

Ervand (10/20/2009)
Splittine (10/20/2009)Great choice in rod and reel. If you fishing the flats I would use 10lb suffix mono, if your using it around dock or jettys I would go with a heavier suffix braid. How will you be using the setup.
Thanks! I have three questions for you or anyone else who sees it first.

1. Wouldn't it be an overkill to use a 10lb fishing line for a fish that is less then 2lb?
2. Will a fish be able to see the line and perhaps be scared off because of it? I am some kind of sense in fishing lines of different lb testings, or all fishermen would just end up using a 10 pound line for all fish in 2 to 10 pound category...
3. When it says that a line is, for example, 6 lb. Does it mean that I can use it to catch 6 lb fish, or it means that the line will be able to hold up to 10 lb of fishe's resistance, but the actual fish would weight less then 6 lb?
Thats alot going on.

1. All fish are very different and have different "fighting Skills". For example a 2lb Spanish Mackeral is going to be much more of a challenge than a 2lb Hardhead Catfish. It is not a fair comparison to base one line class on all fish under 2lbs. But 8 to10lb test in salt water is good medium tackle while fishing inshore or near shore for most inshore and near shore species.

2. The line class or Test is very important but should not be choosen based on the weight of the fish you are looking to catch. Lighter line is normally more productive than heavier line, but the skills the angler has is more important with lighter line than heavier line. In short heavier test line is more forgiving to a lesser skilled angler than lighter test line.

3. All good to high quality reels have a feature called "Drag". Drag is very very very important, regardless what class or test line the angler uses. The drag is set before the reel is used while fishing and it is to protect the line from exceded stress. As the fish is unpredictable in size as well as fighting skill and speed, the drag releaves line stress by allowing the spool to release line in order for there not to be a fixed amount of line during high stressed times during the fight. While the drag is working most reels have a signal that clicks or screams based on how fast the fish is taking the drag from the reel, it is best not to try to retreave line during the time the drag is working and this signal can be heard. When the drag finishes working then the angler can make more attempt to retreave more line in order to land the fish.

I have fish 2# Class alot, more in the past than recently, but it is a ball to fish, and can be very very challenging. If you choose to use extremely light class tackle, be aware of the water you are fishing in as well as the type of fish you are pursuing. Floating Grass can break 2lb line as well as many other none fish related obstruction related things in normal fishing enviroments, even a long running fish that takes a large amount of drag can turn and the weight of the water against the off the reel line can break 2lb class or test line.

Good luck and hope this helps.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Thanks a lot. No more questions in this topic.

·
Registered
65 Posts

Ervand,

I have one last thing to say asI agree with the other replies.............

GO FISHING!!! :banghead You can always change your line.

The best way to learn is to do. You might be over thinking this a little.:poke

·
Registered
1,041 Posts

i would be petty mad if i had an 8lb flattie hit on 2lb line?????????????? food for thought.

erik

1 - 8 of 8 Posts