Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys think? Can deer remember things from their past such as an encounter with a human, a near death experience, old treestands a hunter used etc.. Or do they only rely on their senses such as smell to recall things from their past such as food sources,bedding areas, areas frequently used by hunters....

·
Registered
965 Posts
Well, I believe from past experiences that deer can indeed remember specific events. I also believe that some individual deer are smarter than others. I hunted a mature 6 point one time for a couple of weeks at the beginning of bow season. Several evenings the deer came down the same trail leading to an oak flat. I saw him at least 4 different days before getting a shot at him. One evening he presented a shot. I shot high. I saw the same deer several more times during that season and the next and everytime he came down that trail he paused right before he got to the spot where the arrow flew over his back. I'm convinced he never forgot that experience. Not saying he knew what had taken place but he definitely knew something bad had happened right there!

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Yes they can remember. A friend of mine was taping his bowhunts and every time he was in a particular stand a doe would walk out to the edge of the woods and peak around a shrub directly at his stand then turn around and walk off. She had busted him early in the season and this happened 10 or more times and it was hillarious to watch every time.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I shot a doe that had a yearling with her 2 years ago and i swear that same deer came back to my bow spot last year. Every time this doe would come into the clearing, she would look up and stare at me forever. She had to remember what happened to her momma.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Nahhhh... my daughter shot at a big doe (her first) and it hopped hard and ran off. Found belly hair. Three weeks later a doe came out, same spot, limping. She closed the deal this time.

Doe never looked our way, never acted different.

Just one example.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
That's because they have .......

TURTLE RECALL!

Sorry that was turtelly uncalled for.

That's turtelly ridiculous.

I have some exotic turtles and I am amazed at how observant they are. They will follow me into another room so I would think that deer recognize people and places.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
deer memory

growing up my family hunted out of permenant stands and killed plenty of deer. I think deer can remember specific events or places but they dont communicate to others. ofcourse in the rut that all goes out the window.

·
Bearded Brotula
14,536 Posts
Definitely. I usually sit in the same stand and the does always come in and stare at me first.

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I think more than actually remembering specifics, they learn and adapt...it becomes more a part of their instinct than their memory. If that makes any sense...
This is kind of how I feel also, I think they use their sense of smell to link certain situations to danger, food, other deer, humans, etc...not completly sold that they can remember certain events from years past. But their instincts are so great at times it seems like they are incredibly smart...Really though who knows? Their just fun to hunt!

·
Registered
14,927 Posts
This is kind of how I feel also, I think they use their sense of smell to link certain situations to danger, food, other deer, humans, etc...not completly sold that they can remember certain events from years past. But their instincts are so great at times it seems like they are incredibly smart...Really though who knows? Their just fun to hunt!
.....and eat!

·
***Creepy A$$ Cracker***
4,671 Posts
Wait til they get cell phones.... We won't stand a chance:whistling::whistling:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts