Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

Can backing my boat damage my truck?

6K views 23 replies 18 participants last post by  MR.STAAL 
#1 ·
A couple of years ago I had a shed put in. The guy who built it didn't want to back up my driveway with his loaded trailer, which has a moderate slope, because he claimed backing his trailer up sloped driveways had damaged his transmission. I've been avoiding backing my boat and trailer up the driveway because of what he said.

Can anyone confirm or bust this myth? I've got a Tacoma, and my boat/trailer weigh approx 4500lbs.

Thanks.

#6 ·
Offshore64, I can see how that might cause some problems, but I wasn't planning on backing that far. The truck is a V6 TRD with the tow package. They guy had a ford, I think, but he said it as a general statement. Said he had to replace his transmission because of backing up people's driveways.

I just wanted to make sure this wasn't one of those "common knowledge" things where the service guy says "of course you screwed up your truck doing that, ya moron!"

#13 ·
robert from foley (11/30/2007) If your trailer has surge brakes, backing up an incline will apply the brakes, causing strain on the transmission. You need to pin the slider to prevent that. No brakes, no problem.

Hope this helps.

good luck

Robert, most trailers with surge brakes have a electric solenoid in-line between the master cyl and the brakes. It is activated by the wiring to the backup lights. It stops the flow of fluid to the brakes. The pin deal is real old school.

I've never had this happen on my Ford with a E4OD trans, but I have heard of it from a transmission guy I know. John McFadin of McFadin's Mustangs. John worked at Gene's Transmission for several years.

After a long pull and the trans has gotten hot, then backing up in a hard condition like you speak of [up hill] there have been some that puke the trans fluid out of the dipstick tube.

I personally have never seen this happen. But this "May" be what the guy was speaking of? After it pukes the fluid it has to cool down some and add fluid, but it makes a hell'va mess on the ground.

#14 ·
you drive the same truck i do, and the lowest (strongest) gear is reverse. as long as you arent trying to do 50backwards up an incline you wont have any issues. besides, you cant rely onwhat these guys with fords say anyway. Fords break because of the name thier pinned with. :shedevil

you will be fine. however, it is best to check your trans/clutch fluid more often then normal when towing a bunch.

#17 ·
[/quote]

Robert, most trailers with surge brakes have a electric solenoid in-line between the master cyl and the brakes. It is activated by the wiring to the backup lights. It stops the flow of fluid to the brakes. The pin deal is real old school.

[/quote]

The solenoid you refer to is only on trailers equiped with Disc Brakes. I have never seen it with drum brakes. As explained to me by a Magic Tilt rep. Didsc brakes are very sensitive to pressure. With the design of drum brakes the soelnoid isn't necessary in a normal situation.

The pin may be old school, but it is effective and sometimes very necessary.

#21 ·
I agee with the posts on surge brakes. I have tired to back a trailer with surge brakes up an incline without the pin and it takes a pretty strong vehicle to just move the trailer. The time I did it the tires on the trailer were locked up and sliding until I figured out what was wrong. I could see where it would quickly damage a transmission from the excessive strain. The engine applies power, the transmission builds pressure, something has to give. I suspect the person that originally had a problem had the old style surge brake and didn't know to use the pin or had the newer type with an electrical problem somewhere in the system. If the vehicle can tow it in dirve without any problem there should be no problem in reverse.

#23 ·
it seems, i have slightly offended someone with a ford. that was intended... lol. soory, im just a toyota guy. loved them since i was a wee little fisherman. good luck and tight lines gents!!! (and ladies)

Nope! :) I don't give a damn what you want to drive. It's not my money. :)

The solenoid you refer to is only on trailers equiped with Disc Brakes. I have never seen it with drum brakes. As explained to me by a Magic Tilt rep. Didsc brakes are very sensitive to pressure. With the design of drum brakes the soelnoid isn't necessary in a normal situation.

The pin may be old school, but it is effective and sometimes very necessary.

But so are drum brakes "Old School" as well as leaf springs and Bearing Buddies. :)

Give me Kodiak disc's, torsion bars and Posi Lube spindles any day. Then you will have a GOOD trailer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.