Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My grandfather bought this skiff in 1996. I’m in the process of restoring it now. The plate says it was built by Dawson Boats, Inc. 3909 Mobile Highway Pensacola, FL. I can’t find any information on this company or boat. I’ve attached some photos of how it looked when I started remodeling it.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
My grandfather bought this skiff in 1996. I’m in the process of restoring it now. The plate says it was built by Dawson Boats, Inc. 3909 Mobile Highway Pensacola, FL. I can’t find any information on this company or boat. I’ve attached some photos of how it looked when I started remodeling it.
Don't know about Dawson boats.Did have a Dawson craft a long time ago .I think it was it was a early 80s Model mabe late 70s boat.But that's a Neat little boat! Looks like it needs some fish slime on it!

·
US ARMY 2d ID VETERAN
3,948 Posts
DAWSON BOATS INC
MIC:ETL Status:Company:DAWSON BOATS INC Company Official:SEBRING, ROBERTDBA Parent MIC Past Company 1: Past Company 2: Past Company 3: Past Company 4: Address:3909 MOBILE HIGHWAY City:PENSACOLAState:FL Zip:32505Country: Phone:(850) 429-9988Fax: In Business:7/30/1997Out of Business:6/18/2007 Date Modified:7/3/2007Type:Outboards, Open Motorboats, Jon Boats
Inboards, Cabin Cruisers
Additional Address:

·
Registered
477 Posts
I can only tell you they're a very stable, dry, and good riding boat. Had one at the marine I worked at with a 90hp yamaha on it. I've towed some very large boats with it, fished it, and ran it from Perdido to Pensacola Beach countless times. She jumps up on top of the water pretty quick with the 90 and stays floating on top with a full load. Never had a GPS on it, but it felt like it would run around 40mph or so with that engine. If you can, get a jack plate on it to fully utilize it as it can run in some very skinny water.

·
Registered
6,112 Posts
At the time I started building X-Shark......Robert [the son] had the business. They built some large commercial boats also. I use to go up there and shoot the S#^t with Robert about composites.
They made all kinds of things....Had a lot of molds....I remember a Wheel house they built with Nidacore. It got fitted on top of a charter boat. The company went out of business....The company Black Sheep Automotive is in the building now.
They do automotive Fabrication.

·
Registered
6,737 Posts
wow, a dawson. haven't heard that name in a while. i had a dawson fish n ski with a 140 evinrude in '76. i was in a bass club and my x liked to ski so the fish n ski fit our situation. the only problem was the prop that came with the dawson, a 21 which was for speed and it would not get the skier out of the water. i had to change props out to a 19 when they wanted to ski. the only thing i didn't like about the dawson was the very small draft. it sat in the water with about 8 in. above water. but that thing would go about 50mph when the trim was up and you had a 10 ft. high rooster tail. shit my pants the first time i went that fast. lol.
jack

·
Registered
604 Posts
My father was the founder of Dawson Boats. He passed away in 1993 and the business was sold shortly after. I do not know anything about the boats manufactured after that time. The bass boats he designed were extremely fast and stable hulls as were the offshore boats. I still have some of his old scale models he built when he was designing a new boat.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts