Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well boats been sitting up for a while but getting it cleaned up and ect. so the problem im having is im able to jump the motor from starter and turns over first try. yet on the key switch, on position primes everything and turns on all electronics ect. but does nothing when trying to start with key, ive looked at all connections from the back of key running to the engine and nothing looks wrong all connections look brand new. this is a 05 225 honda. the controls and wire to run to engine were purchased new 6 years ago. been trying to track this down all day with no luck as to what would be causing the probelm. its hard to remember but when i turn the key to on position the top green light and bottom red light come on then turn off. i think one of the lights use to stay on back when i took it out alot but not sure.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Did you “jiggle” the shifter front and back while holding the key in the start position?

·
Jaded Old Phart
5,836 Posts
Above and did you just look at the wires on the key switch or did you take them off one at a time to check for corrosion/looseness?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yea i made sure in neutral, and yes i took apart the control box and looked at all wires for the key everything looked like i just bought it not even dust in it. also i tested cranking the engine, turning the key off turned engine off also pulling kill switch turned it off so both those seamed to be ok.threw the whole wire run to the motore there was 1 area with damage so i cut a few inches away to look at wires better and none seamed to be damaged, or stiff like corrosion build up. i was trying to bypass the key and hotwire the wires that would send the signal to the engine to turn over to see if it was the key but not sure what ones they are. also was told to chech voltage on some of them but not sure what ones.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yes i took them all apart from behind the key every one was connect good and looked brand new no sight of any corrosion or anything. ive looked over everything i could think of but not sure. i could get a new key part but not sure if that could be it. i heard maybe a slave cylinder or something like that but doesnt look like honda has them all wires go directly to the starter

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
start relay?
hmm not sure what that is so might not of checked it. i checked all wires running from key to engine and all extra wires and fuses on engine. there may be something simple hiding somewhere i know my old mercury was notorious for 5$ parts going out causing whole engine not to run lol.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i just looked up starter relay and i couldnt find anything that looked like this on the engine. because the slave solenoid looks just like it and couldnt find anything that looked like one of those either.

·
US ARMY 2d ID VETERAN
2,882 Posts
Yup, you forgot to put the kill switch latch back in place. It's the red U shaped thingy thats attached to the red coiled lanyard, and the other end has the snap ring for your belt loop. Pop that back in place. Oughtta start then.

·
Jaded Old Phart
5,836 Posts
There's this: http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/JeffGr/2012-08-10_165127_200_225_main_relay.pdf but I'd plug in the model number in a parts look; Honda 225 HP Outboard Parts - OEM Motor Parts | Boats.net up in case there is a dedicated starter relay.
Cheap try is spray nonconductive lube, WD40 into key switch and cycle key back and forth to scuff corrosion off contacts.
Check connectors too, all the way to motor. Cheaper than new parts.
Good luck, flying shorts are the worst. BTW always seems to be ground issues.

·
Registered
3,629 Posts
Does the kill switch keep the motor from turning over or just ground it out so it cranks but doesn't start?

·
Registered
3,629 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts