Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm cleaning most of my reels this weekeend and I was wondering if I pack the 706 full of grease would actually keep the water out What kind of grease would you use without freezing it too much on a cold day etc....whats the best grease out there for gears ,also and most important how do you maintain the drag washers for optimun performance.

On a side note where can I order Van Staal reel parts..need a 'clicker'? for a 200 spool. Also is there a site where you can plug in the serial number and tell what year it was made etc. so i can look for schematics etc?... thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
You would be better off just throwing it in the trash and move up to the 21st century.

·
Registered
778 Posts
You don't need to pack the reel with grease. Just use super lube and coat the inside of the housing and to grease the gears. You will just be wasting grease. Superlube won't gum up your reel or get runny when the weather turns hot. Try to take the manual apart and grease that tiny ball bearing. Alan Tani has a website that has worlds of info on breaking down your reels. He uses Yamaha Marine lube in his business. Don't know too much about ordering Van Stall parts. I took the clicker out of mine when it was new and tossed it.

·
Registered
192 Posts
This is something I would be wanting to know myselfmost of ustake great pride in our boats trailer maintenance sometimes we overlook our rod and reels other than the wash down after a trip it would be nice to know about proper practices for equipment maintance such as clean up of reels and rods

·
Registered
387 Posts
thats cuz scott is shimano 100 percent.im not sure if even allows a penn on his boat.just grease your reel normal and keep it clean of sand and it will last you a long time.:letsdrink

·
Registered
192 Posts
Ive had a few shimano reels a couple years back but after hooking up on a couple bull reds striped gears I did throw them away still have my penn and and old mitchell

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
:):poke

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
wrightackle (1/17/2010)You don't need to pack the reel with grease. Just use super lube and coat the inside of the housing and to grease the gears. You will just be wasting grease. Superlube won't gum up your reel or get runny when the weather turns hot. Try to take the manual apart and grease that tiny ball bearing. Alan Tani has a website that has worlds of info on breaking down your reels. He uses Yamaha Marine lube in his business. Don't know too much about ordering Van Stall parts. I took the clicker out of mine when it was new and tossed it.
is Superlube a liquid grease or basic grease or oil?

·
Registered
778 Posts
Super lube is a grease not an oil. Similar to the consistency of vaseline. It is not affected by temperature extremes. Daiwa Blue Grease is another very good product. I think Penn is marketing a Blue grease. The guy I mentioned Alan Tani uses the Yamaha Marine lube in a caulking gun setup, pretty neat. His website is worth checking out. http://alantani.com/ I have learned a lot by following his tutorials on reels.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
wrightackle (1/18/2010)Super lube is a grease not an oil. Similar to the consistency of vaseline. It is not affected by temperature extremes. Daiwa Blue Grease is another very good product. I think Penn is marketing a Blue grease. The guy I mentioned Alan Tani uses the Yamaha Marine lube in a caulking gun setup, pretty neat. His website is worth checking out. http://alantani.com/ I have learned a lot by following his tutorials on reels.

excellent site thanks a lot....I just spent some quality time reading some of the stuff there. I took advice from litecatch a while back and indeed I have two baitrunners that I use to surf fish, they are great reels too.... I just rinse them good everytime I take 'm out.. btw, I'm keeping the 706 there is something to that coffe grinder music I like a lot.

·
C-Hawk 245 Pilot House
5,169 Posts
Easily. Take the reel off the rod, put it into a ziplock bag, presto-chango, it's waterproof!! :poke

Sea-r-cy

1 - 13 of 13 Posts