Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen a few videos where the camera is setup behind the person in the kayak and then once they get the fish in close, the camera goes under the water and you can see the fish swimming around. That's a really cool setup. How are they setting that up? Is the camera on a special arm, or do they just take the arm out of it's holder and stick it under water by hand?

·
Registered
165 Posts

·
Lucky S.O.B
658 Posts
Most of us have the GoPro on a pole behind us in a rod holder or something else. When we want to get underwater footage we grab the pole out and stick it under the water and hope we get the camera at the right angle to get footage. I don't advise doing this when cranky sharks are around. If you watch this video, I have a double camera setup, with one in the front and the pole mount behind me. The underwater footage of the sail isn't the greatest due to the dirty water.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So when you remove the pole and put the camera in the water, I assume the camera is upside down and you flip it in a video editing software?

Sweet video by the way!

·
Lucky S.O.B
658 Posts
No, the camera mount allows me to bend the camera back almost 120degrees from its original position. Wherever I point the pole the camera films.

Btw, whatever setup you decide to make, I would make sure that it floats. Things happen, and you don't want your $300+ investment sinking to the bottom.

Thanks on the video. It was a privilege to film someone's first sail catch. I spliced footage from 4 cameras to make it.

·
The Reel Bigun'
20 Posts
Looking at getting a GoPRo to go along with my kodak playsport. Any suggestions on which GoPro to get? Im looking at the hero 3 but dont know if the silver or black would be worth the extra money over the white. I am happy with what the playsport gives me and I cant imagine the white would be any worse.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Hero 3 has had issues. Not sure what all the problems are with it, but my buddy bought one about a month ago and already returned it and went back to his Hero 2. Definitely do some searching and see what's up with the 3 before spending the cash on it.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Hero 3 had firmware issues. Lots of updates have been made for download. Had issues with mine, and after updates it's running like a champ. I have the black. More features and higher res photos.
There is a menu option to flip video on the camera so you don't have to turn it over to film.
I think the GP black is probably the best thing going, especially for HD video. But it ain't user friendly with the menus. When a better option comes out, I'll be happy to try it out.
I use a monopod I made, with a big fluffy foam handle that fits firmly in the Hobie rod holder, and it floats.

Cheers
Drew

1 - 11 of 11 Posts