Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

81 - 100 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Dylan (2/9/2010)
Downtime2 (2/9/2010)
Dylan (2/9/2010)Why risk the ecosystem we have to save a few pennies? How much of this oil and money are we really going to be able tosee? Not worth the risk
Try doing a little research before a rediculous remark such as that. Make an informed statement, not just noise. What do you base this remark on?
Ridiculous? You just said yourself that anything could happen..Whats ridiculous about that? Jim just mentioned tar balls
It is ridiculous. There is NO risk. Even the Exxon Valdez accident that the wackos blew all out of proportion left no measurable affect or trace. 3 years after the accident no traces could be found. Permanent ecosystem damage exists only in AL Gores dreams and movies.

Anybody that uses the pristine beaches argument is just ignorant or deliberately trying to mislead people.

·
Registered
387 Posts
it is so funny when people care about tourism,its such a high paying gig,lol.tourism doesnt provide real jobs.why do you think thepanhandle sucks so bad,no real jobs on a large scale.i say drill that bitch and screw the beach cuz coming soon if you dont have waterfront you aint gonna get to the waterfront so drill away.if anyone has been to boca raton,its 30 bucks to valet to walk to the beach and thats half a day.drill that sucker and lets get some real money rolloing in.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
I think its funny that all these hands across the sand people will be drivng their suvs to go hold hands and not to mention (in the summer)probably cover themselves in suntan "lotion" chemicals then go get directly into the water ? I bet Tom Thumb sells a million gallons a year !A clean and pretty white sandybeach does not mean it is a healthy and pristine beach !!!!As far as keeping the beaches pristine .. I do belive that if these folks concentrated more on keeping our more inland waters clean (harbors,bays, rivers, ect) It would benefit the beaches, people and wildlife on a much larger scale ! Drill....

BTW.. thanks to Capt Larry and all the other supporters who have posted here !

·
Super Moderator
5,866 Posts
Dylan (2/9/2010)
Downtime2 (2/9/2010)
Dylan (2/9/2010)Why risk the ecosystem we have to save a few pennies? How much of this oil and money are we really going to be able tosee? Not worth the risk
Try doing a little research before a rediculous remark such as that. Make an informed statement, not just noise. What do you base this remark on?
Ridiculous? You just said yourself that anything could happen..Whats ridiculous about that? Jim just mentioned tar balls
The last few words.....What do you base your remark on...what Jim says? Or maybe you could share what you actually know for a fact. Not just repeating what someone else thinks. What exactly do you see at risk for the ecosystem? My whole point is educate yourself and make an informed statement. Like the tar balls. What do you know about them. Are they from a ship, rig or naturally occuring?

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
santarosafisherman (2/10/2010)I think its funny that all these hands across the sand people will be drivng their suvs to go hold hands and not to mention (in the summer)probably cover themselves in suntan "lotion" chemicals then go get directly into the water ? I bet Tom Thumb sells a million gallons a year !A clean and pretty white sandybeach does not mean it is a healthy and pristine beach !!!!As far as keeping the beaches pristine .. I do belive that if these folks concentrated more on keeping our more inland waters clean (harbors,bays, rivers, ect) It would benefit the beaches, people and wildlife on a much larger scale ! Drill....

BTW.. thanks to Capt Larry and all the other supporters who have posted here !
your suv comment cracks me up. i drive around town a lot and see these tree hugging, sold out hippy, aged yuppie,baby boomers driving around in their hummers, escalades,... 4wd, with a big ole v8s and being the only person in the vehicle and never have been off the asphalt:doh i guess they could use it to pull their 60ft sundowner and dont forget the greyhound size motorhome,of course they have to have a climate controlled three or four car garage to keep all their gas guzzling toys in, attached to a 3500 sq ft house. god forbid we drill for some oil.

·
Registered
9,229 Posts
Get ready for the rigs,
I can tell you there has been a civilian contracted survey boat surveying off Pensacola for the last three months. They wont say any more than that NOAA has contracted them. I know it only takes a couple weeks to survey for the pass dredging contracts so who knows!!! Just think if they put two or three rigs right on the beach off Pensacola it might stop the beach erosion and save millions of dollars. The last two renourishments are helping to cover the three barges and filling the pass. I know one spot in the pass that went from 55 feet to 35 feet when we had the storms the last two years. :banghead

·
Registered
143 Posts
It occurs to me, I keep hearing the "risk" arguement and those using it don't have any other arguement (there isn't another ligit one) andit's the last staw they have to grasp on to.

If you are going to use the "risk argument"you have to not just blindly yell "what about the risk!" like chicken little. You must weigh the Risk/Reward facts. You're avitar shows you fishing off a bridge or a pier. You better not do that anymore, you risk fallingoff and drowning. Did you drive a car to get there? You needlessly risked killing yourself and others for what? To catch a fish?

Do us (and yourself) a favor.... read the "article" and the coments the link on one ofmy previous posts above WITH AN OPEN MIND.And any of the other informative, rational, truthful, pro-drilling information on here or on other places on the internet. Then have your next post say something besides the standard "We're risking the total (maybeeminant)destruction of the entire Florida coast for NO REWARDS. NO JOBS. NO OIL. NO BENIFITS WHATEVER!"

I think you'll see the "chicken little" arguement is doing no one any good.

·
Whizzed off realist
2,528 Posts
Just a few words .. Guys, we seem to be on the same page here. I looked to see who arethe backers of this trendy little movement. One that strikes me funny (haha) and funny (queer), is that the "Progress Florida" group. They are pushing for gays in the miltary as well as heath care reform. You folks know what economic problems have been manifested in the last 11 of 12 months.

There is something we can do. One of the protests or hand holding fests is going on on Perdido Key. I will be there with signs. Ive also put a call (not yet returned) to Commissioner Wilson Roberts Escambia FL to voice my feelings on using county property for basing an agenda driven protest. I may be barking up the wrong tree, but I don't think Chamber of Commerce employees should be staging political agendas out of county property. The Chamber shares a building with the Esc. S&R/Fire dept. They are also promoting the event on their website. I'm a Chamber MEMEBER and these ass-hats won't return my calls.

Who will join our side? My family will be there. How about you guys and ladies? I ain't scared. I was scoffed at by the downtown bench sitters at the Tea Party Rally. It feels great!

Jim

If we dont want to see a 10 minute piece on the front page of the PNJ and on the 5 pm 10pm editions of WEAR, we best show up with some signs... JOBS STABILIY ECONOMIC INDEPENDENCE CLEAN ENERGY NATURAL GAS NEW PORT TENANTS DRILL DRILL DRILL !!!!

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Those that oppose drilling off of Florida's coast only show everyone how uneducated they are on the subject. Initially before I educated myself on the subject I was one who opposed the drilling no matter if you could see it or not but after researching it I have no problem with drilling for oil if we can keep it out of sight from our beaches. Whenhave you ever heard of an oil leak disaster because of an offshore rig? I never have yetwe've been drilling offshorein other states for decades. Some people are just dense and can't read through the B.S. put out by environmental extremists who have no clue. Anyone educated on the subject of offshore drilling should know that in this day and age drilling poses minimal if any environmental risks and quite honestly is a boostfor the local fish populationsbecause they create a huge cleanartificial reef wherever they are built. I also think somepeople just oppose something to opposesomething and no amount of educating will change their minds.:banghead:doh

·
Registered
437 Posts
In the words of Michael Crichton, "Some people will do anything to save the Earth ... except take a science course. ..."

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2000/01/000127082228.htm

"To get an estimate of how much oil seeps into the Gulf each year, the researchers took into account the thickness of the oil-only a hundredth of a millimeter, the area of ocean surface covered by slicks, and how long the oil remains on the surface before it's consumed by bacteria or churned up by waves. "The number is twice the Exxon Valdez's spill per year, and that's a conservative estimate," said Mitchell."

That's TWO Exxon Valdez spills, <U>every year</U>, for the last few million years - conservatively.

A little secret of the oil industry is that they have been identifying prospects since the 90s by finding slicks on satellite photos. Almost all the oil in the northeasternGoM is light oil or condensate, it does not create tar balls.

I've been going to Gulf Shores, AL for over 60 years and there are far, far, fewer tar balls now than there were when I was a child. Why? Because of regulations on pumping of bilges, which is where the tar balls come from. Proximity to the port of Mobile is why there are more of them in Alabama.

Not that any of this really matters. In a few years the effect of Peak Oil will start to really stranglethe economy and you can bet your sweettail we will drill then. This "Great Recession" is just a warmup.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The only Beaches Louisana has is accessed by boat only
Not true. Grand Isle, Johnson and Holley beach can all be driven to.

There are litearlly mountains of rules and regulations for the industry to answer to. Like I said, make an informed decision.
Which if are not followed will result in extremely large fines. Also, jail time for those who broke them.

there are plenty of rigs available with crews. Most rigs go directly from one location to another.
This is also true, there could actually be in FL waters in 24 hours.

·
Registered
0 Posts
quick question,

any of you guys in favor of drilling ever been to galveston. it looks like hell. if creating jobs is the argument in favor of drilling consider this.none of the oil companies that would put in these rigs are based in FL, so no jobs there.the contractedservice operations for these rigs would likely come from AL and LA, they allready have the infastructure and experience. so far as people to actually work the rigs, those people will most likely be helicoptered in from LA.

so in sum, you ruin your beaches, making tourists move to other beaches, which affects industires that actually employ locals. in exchange for this you get to line the pockets of texans and louisisanas while they extract FL resources.

have fun at your protest.

·
Registered
363 Posts
treble (2/10/2010)

so in sum, you ruin your beaches, making tourists move to other beaches, which affects industries that actually employ locals. in exchange for this you get to line the pockets of texans and louisianans while they extract FL resources.

They also wish to ignore the fact that the air force will be further pressured into moving all weapons testing out west. The JSF is already making that difficult, although barely workable.

So you also lose all those engineers and scientists that actually buy expensive houses, boats, cars, etc, for an industry that will operate offshore with imported workers.

You guys can't see the forest for the trees, just like when they thought eliminating the NADEP to make room for an enlisted training command would some how be an economic benefit. There was only a short burst of construction and then all those good paying jobs were replaced with a few middle income enlisted instructors and recruits that don't have a pot to piss in.

·
Registered
143 Posts
This Galveston beach? http://photos.igougo.com/images/p202574-Queensland-Mooloolaba_Beach.jpg

Or this one? http://www.sideshowworld.com/TY-ConPT3-5.jpg

Or any on this page of pics of people having fun on galveston beaches? http://images.google.com/images?q=galveston+beaches+pics&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-US&oe=utf8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=AX5zS9LXNc-hnQfRrdSfCw&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CBIQsAQwAA

Looks like hell why? Because the sand isn't white?HERE WEGO AGAIN, proclaiming it will mean the total distruction of the beaches and tourist industries. TOTAL BS.

And the tourists aren't always the gangbuster industry here. After hurricanes, fishery closures, winter time, etc. you starve hoping someday the tourists will come back.

And only people will be ferried to the rigs on helicopters. everything else (and some people) will still go by boat.

Also, when you're in a jet flying out to practice air to air, it only means another couple of minutes of flight time to get beyond the rigs. Yeah, they might have to tow a surface target a little farther out but that's not a high frequency mission here, anyway.

So you go stand on the other side of the street with all the environazis and PETA members, and when the oil rigs get here, don't let me hear about you fishing around them! :poke

Think about this, also. Our demand WILL continue to grow. So what do we do? Ignore it? Buy it from other countries forever? Can't drill in Alaska, the reindeer will all be killed and the ice cap will melt. Can't do it here, the tourists will hear about it and not like us. So what should we do?

·
Registered
363 Posts
jim t (2/9/2010)There was a comment about "military concerns" and oil platforms. There is certainly a concern about things like missile tests...

The Air Force can simply move further out to sea, and use "data-link" through airborne assets (E-2, E-3 aircraft)to provide data to shore based units. Tankers can easily increase range of fighters. There's REAL training to be had by longer range missions.

You guys understand of course that UAV's "unmanned aerial vehicles" in Iraq are "piloted" from places like Tampa, FL, right?

More money? Sure... is it doable... oh yeah.

Jim

How much of the DOD budget do you think is being used for test range infrastructure improvement. zip. How do you think these wars have been funded? By cutting back everywhere else possible, including infrastructure improvement.

81 - 100 of 119 Posts