Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey evrybuddy! I'm lookin to buy one rifle that can be used as a deer and varmint rifle. I need somethn for varmnts super accurate at 150+ yds that'll still knock out a deer. I don't do a super lot of shooting to pay to buy two guns that's why I'm lookin for a combo. Having to retire my model 4 270 sorry for the long read and thanks for the input!!

·
Registered
6,538 Posts
Well... obviously the .223 is the rifle for you! Will kill any deer in the woods. Just get close to the boiler room.

Nah, I'd step up to a .243 and call it done. A Savage with accutrigger will cost you under 500, but you need to bust a grand for a good scope.

·
Registered
4,573 Posts
I'm partial to the 7mm08, which is just right for deer, and just right for coyotes. If there is such a thing as overkill, I like to "overkill" my coyotes. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
AS I type this I am watching a Primos DVD on predator hunting. They are using everything from .223 to 7mm mags to kill coyotes. Dead is dead. Buy a rifle for the biggest animal you want to hunt. The predators don't really care if you kill them with a "big game" cartridge or a "varmint" cartridge.

Reactions: Darren1765

·
Registered
9,998 Posts
22-250, bullets available for everything from prairie dogs to deer, Google it, and don't get caught up in the caliber pecker pulling contest lol

·
Registered
8,431 Posts
AS I type this I am watching a Primos DVD on predator hunting. They are using everything from .223 to 7mm mags to kill coyotes. Dead is dead. Buy a rifle for the biggest animal you want to hunt. The predators don't really care if you kill them with a "big game" cartridge or a "varmint" cartridge.

I agree. Buy the caliber for the biggest animal you are going to hunt. Just about any deer caliber is good at 150 yards. I would go with a .270, 30/06 or 7mm/08 but that's personal preference.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts