Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
9,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm building a gate for our area, its 16' long, roughly 400 pounds. I've looked and looked for calculators online but cant quite get the clear answer I'm looking for. I find forums discussing this but they ain't speaking my language and talk about buttons on the calculator I was always afraid to push! Anyone have some engineering smarts in them?

·
Registered
9,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Put a wheel on it and throw the calculator in the lake?
Thought about that, a lot. Problem is it's got to roll over millings, never level, and dirt on either side of them. Seems like a lot to ask of some sort of spring to compensate for rough terrain but maintain some good support.

It's still an option, just not sure about the suspension or bracketry required

·
Registered
9,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ideally. Unless it becomes too much of a headache figuring out the hinges.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Would using two 8' gates be easier to figure the hinge load? I mean I can't do it but I figuring that 16' @ 400 lbs is gonna require some beast of some hinges to keep from saggin', might have better luck long term with two 8' gates if your application allows it ... just a thought.

·
Registered
9,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Definitely a thought. It just doubles the cost of openers and posts, concrete, etc... they do make hinges for this much weight and more, they just jump from 30-40$ each to over 200$each. I just cant calculate exactly how much weight each hinge will see and different sites talk about shear load, radial torque load, etc..

·
Registered
489 Posts
That's a heavy gate. We have a big wrought iron gate, but like someone said above, it's a double gate.

I say why skimp if you want to have a big, fancy gate like that, get the big, fancy hinges and be done with it.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
The center of mass should be 8 feet from the hinged end. The stress at that point would be 400lbs x 8 ft = 3200 ft-lbs. I think.

·
Super Moderator
5,901 Posts
Those hinges are also at welding supply stores. I know Wesco carries them. Don't know the price.

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
I mean, 4k pounds per hinge better be enough
I don't think the weight limit of the hinges is as big a factor as what you are attaching them to. Not knowing the exact dimension of your gate or installation, a quick, rough estimation would be that the gate post that you will be attaching the hinges to will be supporting the equivalent of about 8000 ft-lbs of force. Or more correctly, the soil that the post is set into will be resisting this amount of "torque".

Official engineering analysis: You better get a strong post and brace the shit out of it.:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts