Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello Forum. I have a 150 Mercury outboard (94 model) that the VRO has been disabled, but the gas line still goes in and out the VRO and then to the first set of carbs. My question is --- may I bypass the VRO completely and run the gas line directly to the first set of carbs. Thank you

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think the VRO controls the oil amount to the gas and the VRO does not act as a fuel pump. ( not to sure) I think the 150 merc. outboard get gas has a gravity feed to the carbs. This is the reason why I'm asking.

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No the oil side of the vro is disconnected you still need the fuel pump that is why it is still connected
I did more research on this and I think you are right. The VRO does act as a fuel pump. Thank you. I will work on this project this week.

·
Registered
664 Posts
The oil injection pump and the fuel pump is two separate animals plus the Mercury doesn't have VRO, OMC has VRO. The oil pump on a mercury injects the oil into the fuel line via a check valve.

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
TheCaptKen, with what you advised me, am I able to run a straight line right to the carbs? Thx Mark

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Problem solved.

captken is correct no vro on merc. there has to be a fuel pump on the motor. it should be a black square one. follow the fuel line into the motor from your primer bulb it will take you to the fuel pump.

Thanks Shane
I fixed the fuel problem I had. Thank you for all the help I got from the forum.
150 mercury running great now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts