Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First and foremost if this a PFF member I'm in no way shape or form out to bash you. Ran across this on CL and wanted to hear what others thought?

Do you hunters sell your deer pelts after curing them?

Attachments

·
Registered
6,541 Posts
Probably illegal unless you are an American Indian or Democrat

·
Registered
10,004 Posts
I don't think it "should" be any different than selling taxidermy but who knows what kind of whacky laws are behind it. They don't look that great to me, especially at the price.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Jeez that is about the same price as a professional taxidermists doing a mount. That guy must be out of his mind.

·
Registered
8,433 Posts
Pretty sure that is illegal. It should be anyway or, at $350 a pop, people would be killing anything that walked................even worse than they are now I mean.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Finished pelt .

That price is outrageos , found one for $50.00 at a antigue mall ,profesionaly done ,soft , look around . The way it is tanned is important . Taxidermy would probably be a better price ,and quality .that one looks stiff .should turn out as soft as coat . Maxfold

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Maybe - but, have you ever been on etsy or pin trist, page after page of deer hide projects. People will pay
Unfortunately yes they will just like people paying $100 for a brick of .22lr ammo.
I guess it is in the eye of the holder.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Sebring custom tanning in florida will tan your deer hide for 25 bucks.... at that price, I don`t see what not everyone is wearing moccasins and sleeping on layers and layers of deer hide, deer sofas, deer leather jackets,... I sure would (i live abroad where hunting is nearly impossible)

·
Registered
8,433 Posts
I'm guessing that is in Sebring Florida ? Heck, I would pay that in a heartbeat. Anybody know of anybody local that does it that cheap ?

·
Registered
212 Posts
I'm guessing that is in Sebring Florida ? Heck, I would pay that in a heartbeat. Anybody know of anybody local that does it that cheap ?
correct. You can ship it there, not sure if the prices include shipping back, probably not. But even if you end up paying like 30 bucks for shipping to and from, it`s a 55$ hide....

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
In college I took a Wildlife law and Policy class. We had a guest speaker who was a special agent with the USFWS. I was curious about the number of animal parts that are available on Ebay for sale...particularly antlers. I questioned him on the legality of this "business". He said that under the Lacey Act it very well could be illegal depending on the circumstances of the animal being harvest. For example one of the key provisions in the law says it is illegal to sell parts of any wild animal that are illegally obtained. I believe any animal that is harvested and transported across state lines without the proper information (tagging, etc) would be considered criminal under the Lacey Act if not other state and federal laws. If the seller provides all the necessary information it probably is legit but I would be suspect of buying something online particularly because of the legal issues and questions of authenticity. Let the buyer beware.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts