Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to buy a gps combo,goingto spend around $900 to $1100.

was leaning towards raymarine a60. all advice would be greatly appreciated.

:usaflag

·
Praedator
10,015 Posts
Flounderpounder (1/2/2008)Just my opinion, but will never get a combo again. Next time, it'll be separate units only!
Yep, it will have to bea 10"+ screen for me to even consider buying a combo unit. The split screen is just to small for my taste on most combo units.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Flounderpounder (1/2/2008)Just my opinion, but will never get a combo again. Next time, it'll be separate units only!
I agree. Unless space is a big issue, go with seperate units. If you have to send it in for repair you are out for both.

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
You might waant to check out Garmin's website they have an online store and can save you some $$$$$

I bought a recon. 3210 on E bay w/ warranty for around the price you plan to spend.

I don't know for sure but I bet Ray Marine also has an online store. I personally like the combo units you can overlay Radar and XM weather on the chartplotter.

My2cents

·
Capt Dickhead
1,225 Posts
I have yet to experience any consistantissue's with split screen units, and I've installed one or two! For the kind of money you are budgeting, look at the Lowrance or the Garmin. Both have a lot to offer, and are easy to use. Garmin does have charts already built in, so you dont have to buy any additional maps, but the Lowrance card for the whole country is only about $99. Feel free to call with any questions.

·
Registered
418 Posts
For what its worth, I agree with most. I like the Lowrance lineup and the networking capacity they have. If I had it to do over I would have bought separate units. The screens are just too small for split screen usage unless you're standing on top of the unit.

·
Registered
138 Posts
If you step into the C series with raymarine and go with the c70 or c80 you will be happier with the larger screen and features. You can get a refurbished one for close to your price range. I ahve even seen some internet specials which may get you there. The comments from the others about screen size are right on. THis is the big drawback of an all in one unit. Electronics are the second most (the first being reliable power) important feature on a fishng boat so get the best you can afford. You may be able to save on installation by asking some on here to help.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Get 2 Garmin 498c units and you will have full screens with built in redundancy. discountgps.com is a fast dependable and reasonably priced site.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
It might help if you tell us where you'll be using the equipment(inshore, nearshore, offshore) and what size of boat the equipment is going on...

For example, I fish inshore from a 17' boat - I've got a Humminbird depth/fish finder and a Garmin GPS. The Humminbird communicates with the GPS so I really only look at one screen,but, if for whatever reasonthe depth finder goes out then I can still use my Garmin to get me home. My setup only cost me about $600 or so.

But, my buddy's boatis a 24' offshore boat- he's gota Raymarine chartplotter/GPS/Radar thingee that costs a few thousand.

The point being, where you go and what you're going to be doing will dictate what kind of setup you need.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I have the Garmin 545s and love it, it has great built in charts, the g2 vision card is awesome, you can add xm satellite weather, and play xm radio on your boat stereo system. I like having the combo because you only have to look one place. It is a digital sounder and has great resolution. If money wasn't an issue, then I would probably have gotten two separate monitors but for $1130 it gives you a great unit that you can expand with the weather or g2 vision card later.

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
I'm on the seperate unit boat (no pun intended). I would never buy a combo. If one goes bad or becomes obsolete, your out both units. I have seperate units now. My FF is fairly new but my GPS is obsolete. I only have to buy 1!!!

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Combo units are nice but as stated before screen size is a big issue. I have a garnin combo and also a portable hand held garmin gps and a ray marine fish finder on the boat as back up just in case.Moast of the time I use the combo on gps only until I get near the hole then I turn on hand held and take my combo to bottom machine. I know it kinda defeats the purpose of a combo but sometimes on run betwwen holes I put it on the combo.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts