Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
If you're planning on selling a home soon... Now is the time to begin the preparations... If you're ready to begin the journey to home ownership.. and you'd like a few pointers, don't hesitate to contact me.

Jim Summers
I am a Licensed Real Estate Broker, Owner/Broker of record of Pensacola House Hunters LLC

·
Registered
12,732 Posts
Hey Jim, is the local housing market currently up, down or sideways? Also, is it true that the Spring is the best time to sell?

·
Registered
9,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Hey Jim, is the local housing market currently up, down or sideways? Also, is it true that the Spring is the best time to sell?

aaaahhhhh the age old questions. Allow me to try and explain via type.

(***) The current market is currently strong. Meaning Houses that are CLEAN and in above average repair/condition are bringing very close their asking price. You have to be able to justify your price to the buyer.....

Best time to sell....

In reality it's a 50/50 split. I'm sure there are those, that will argue this...

1 - With more homes in the market, during the spring-summer months, your homes competition increases 10 fold. You may have to wait your turn (see *** above.....)

2 - In the traditionally slower times of the year, your home has less competition (fewer available homes in the market), thus fewer home buyers competing for those homes. But... see (***) above...

Reality is, if your home is CLEAN, extremely well maintained, and has attractive curb appeal, well light, did I mention CLEAN? Not to mention priced "CORRECTLY" with the right exposure, it'll sell for close to, or at your asking price.

many, many factors to consider...

Location, whats your neighbors home look like, size, condition, how old is the roof?, New HVAC?, Brick - vinyl - wood siding?, 1/2 car garage, lot size, (bigger is not always better)

Remember, people adapt to their surroundings quickly. Something that's not a big deal to you, may be a HUGE deal to your potential buyer.... Preparation is key.... I can NOT stress that enough.... DO NOT make the mistake, of saying.... "The buyer can fix that, after they buy it...."

does this help?

Oh, don't forget, everyone is an expert on Real Estate, Just ask 'em.....

Jim

·
Registered
12,732 Posts
You get what you pay for, what are you looking to sell?
I'm not looking to sell anytime soon. Not even in the far future. I'm just learning because I want to be an expert like Tom. The other day I talked with a friend who negotiated a 1.5 or 2% commission for the selling agent and 3% for the buying agent. But if the seller brought the buyer he still only got the original %. I told him that wasn't smart. Of course..his house is still for sale.

·
Registered
9,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm not looking to sell anytime soon. Not even in the far future. I'm just learning because I want to be an expert like Tom. The other day I talked with a friend who negotiated a 1.5 or 2% commission for the selling agent and 3% for the buying agent. But if the seller brought the buyer he still only got the original %. I told him that wasn't smart. Of course..his house is still for sale.
Good Morning,
Although, I can somewhat, appreciate your interest in your friends RE transaction, those details are only germane to the individuals involved in the transaction. I see you’re already on the fast track to Real Estate expertness, by your attempts to provide guidance via proxy.

·
Registered
13,642 Posts
I tried to sell by owner once, 2004, a new house, Gulf Breeze Victorian Village Adams Home, never lived in, 30 days after Ivan. I could stand on the roof, which I did to look for wind damage and look south and see many houses laying down on the ground. The new Building Codes worked.

After 60 day of nightmares, I engaged a Realtor, (PS: I did not know Jim then) and it was sold in 15 days.

I also sold another house that I lived in during Ivan in 2006. I worked hard at the curb appeal, and the backyard swimming pool area.
At closing the husband told me, Tom, I love what you did with the yard. After driving up, and seeing how nice it looked, from the outside, I told my wife, I hope you like the inside, we are buying this house.

Curb appeal is everything.

PS: Jim and I have now done several realestate adventures.

·
Registered
264 Posts
"The new Building Codes worked."
Construction date is one of the key factors for me when browsing houses.
About what construction date did the new codes get enforced? 2001-2002?
How much of an impact on insurance do the new codes play?
Is there a significant difference in the home owners insurance between a comparable home in Baldwin county and Escambia county if most other factors are the same?
I look primary homes in FEMA zone X too.

·
Registered
13,642 Posts
"The new Building Codes worked."
Construction date is one of the key factors for me when browsing houses.
About what construction date did the new codes get enforced? 2001-2002?
How much of an impact on insurance do the new codes play?
Is there a significant difference in the home owners insurance between a comparable home in Baldwin county and Escambia county if most other factors are the same?

That statewide code, developed to boost the storm resistance of residential and commercial construction across Florida after Hurricane Andrew devastated South Miami-Dade in 1992, went into effect in 2002. It incorporated the toughened post-Andrew South Florida Building Code, allowing Broward and Miami-Dade counties to retain their demanding windstorm rules as a “high-velocity” wind zone. But the Legislature declined to impose the same level of regulation across the state, opting instead for a tiered approach, Pistorino said.

Insurance is greatly affected by the year it was built, In an older home, such as Mine, I went through Rebuild Northwest Florida program, and hardened my home.

$16,000 of work, I paid 25% or $4000. My insurance dropped $1800 the first year.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts