Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
why does it have to be $15-20 for simanobutterfly jigs? i know they work well, but i have lost two to wrecks in the past week :banghead:banghead:banghead. i might try using some of the williamson vertical jigs, anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
573 Posts
NOPE -LOST A FEW MYSELF just seems like you could make your own mold with an old one and use some good acrylic paint and you would not lose 20 bucks every time . Just think it is more of the action of a crippled minnow than anything .

·
Registered
958 Posts
Hell, I lost 7 in one trip earlier this year. They are pricey but IMO better than the others. All of the colors work except for the pink. I cant seem to catch a small fish on the pink. Just kidding, I use all of the colors and find that the pink long jigs and the heavy short ones are the ones that i have caught the most of the keeper fish on. You can catch fish on the other brands. One day I went out and tried the other brands before I started jigging with the shimano's and all I caught were small AJ's when I switched to the Shimano's i started catching keeper snapper ( black and reds) as well as amberjack. I still caught a bunch of short AJ's but the butterfly jigs did put the keepers in the boat.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
they are certainly pricey, but seem to produce WELL. do some experimenting of your own. get a few of the less expensive lures and rig them up same as the butterfly jigs (leave nothing on the bottom, it kills the action) and interchange them every couple of drops and see what produces better... this may save you some money, or it might confirm to you that the butterfly jigs are in fact worth the money! please let us know if you do it, and take a picture or two of your results! good luck

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,547 Posts
I'd like to know where you are even getting the shimano jigs for 15- 20 dollars. By the time you rig one it is closer to 30 dollars, with split, solid rings and dancing hooks. it's tough, I use shulure based out of niceville however I believe he has gone out of business. They worked for me as well as shimano because I fished on a boat where 2 others were jigging with shimano right along side of me and I did as well as they, and it only cost me 9 dollars after rigging.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have used Williamson and Pro Fish Co jigs and had great results from both. I have caught lots of amberjack on the pro fish jig and my buddy caught a big king yesterday and the chord broke on the hook when it got in the boat. The big williamson jig wonked as well. He caught a scamp and then a big AJ which of course broke off at boatside. BYE BYE $15 jig. He also caught fish on a big lead head grub in neon yellow. Those AJ's will hit anything as long as it's moving. It's just amatter of getting it in front of a big one.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I've fished Williamson Benthos jigs side by sideagainst Shimanos (a fishing buddy of minemust own stock in Shimano with as many as he bought) and found the Williamson's to catch just as many fish and usually as larger if not larger. Don't buy into the hype...Shimanos work, but there are others just as good (ProFishCo, River2Sea, Williamson, etc).

Harry

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Same here. I do not buy Shimano Butterfly jigs anymore - we are strictly Williamson and the Bass Pro kinds too (offshore angler?! I can't remember the name..)= easier on the wallet and still catch the same amt of nice fish. :)

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
stupid question guys. i have heard a lot of good things about the butterfly jigs but have never fished'em, what kind of fish do they produce.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts