Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Turkey hunted this morning, was there before day light this morning, at day break I hit the peacock locator call within 5 minutes heard a gobbler about 200 yrds. off in a branch, got down there off the plot & as minutes past I could see the silowhete of the gobller cutiingme off as I called,he was in a tree, its 0640 & I lightly call, he gobbles, I wait, he gobbles about 10 minutes later, this goes on till 0745, he still hasn't pitched down, at 0815 I haven't heard from him so I ease towards the area I saw him, BUSTED , he fly's off, so I ease to a gas line, the minute I step out on the gas line another Gobbler pitches out of the same area the first bird pitched from , it was 0830, figured they had pitched by then but no,what or where did I go wrong? PMA...

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Sounds like you are in the right area but singing the wrong song. I will not move once I set up a bird unless I know he is leaving the area. Be patient they will come when the music is sweet enough. Remember you are trying to make a turkey so something that is not natural to them. Good hunting.

·
Registered
789 Posts
I try not to get close enough to see them on the roost if I can. In some cases where there across a field from you thats different. It seems like there wasnt enough calling involved and if I havent heard or seen him pitch down I would have sat tight. A morning like this morning here anyway with the rain coming through and the wind blowin alot of times theyll stay on the roost till late. Youll learn that every turkey is different and no two turkeys are gonna do the same thing. Thats why they call it Turkey Hunting! Good luck on your next trip!

·
Registered
383 Posts
He was doing what he was supossed to he was gobbling and you wer coming to him so there was no reason to leave the tree. When you called to him in the tree he started looking for you. If a bird gobbles on his own your best weapon is "stealth" get between him and where you think hes going let him get on the ground, check his temperature ,call him up and kill! I dont think you did anything wrong because sometimes its better to learn what not to do.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
with what little experience I have, I know once they're on the ground the gobbling almost stops, especially if they're hooked up with a hen, I watched 3 gobblers with 11 hens during muzzy season ( 3 weeks ago) & not the first gobble, onlystrutting & drumming...

·
Registered
269 Posts
The tree is a turkeys safe haven. If they feel threatened or when they are spooked they will get in a tree. If you got that close to him before you saw him chances are he saw you too but with the darkhe couldnt tell if you were a deer or hog or person. That will make them sit tight till they can determine friend or foe. As someone metioned also rain, fog, temp all can make them fly down late also. Hard to pinpoint the problem. I hunted one turkey of you called to him before he flew down you can go to the house. He would sit till lunch. You stay quiet till he flew down he would goggle and work.

·
Registered
269 Posts
If your schedule allows go back to that area where you see them first thing in the morning with all the hens about 4 in the evening. Call with hen calls and if nothing happens try adding a few gobbles in. They usually cant stand it.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Sounds like you got plenty of opinions already so I'll give mine. Byrd dog is correct he gobbled you were coming also the weather this morning was crappy sometimes in bad weather or heavy fog they will stay in the tree longer. Also I have seen in places where there is lots of coyotes they will stay on the limb forever I have watched them wait till a hen gets there fly down breed her and fly right back up. I don't think it was lack of calling or the wrong calls that made him stay in the tree.Just my opinion.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wild ***** (3/21/2010)Sounds like you got plenty of opinions already so I'll give mine. Byrd dog is correct he gobbled you were coming also the weather this morning was crappy sometimes in bad weather or heavy fog they will stay in the tree longer. Also I have seen in places where there is lots of coyotes they will stay on the limb forever I have watched them wait till a hen gets there fly down breed her and fly right back up. I don't think it was lack of calling or the wrong calls that made him stay in the tree.Just my opinion.
I never called until I was in position, I sat for two hrs, 1 & 1/2 for which he gobbled back, I never called as if I was headed to him, he knew I was fixed, he just out waited me...

Live & Learn...

·
Registered
870 Posts
Usually it is better to call as little as necessary, remember you just want to tease them and get them excited. I think you probably set up a little too close, if you can see them that is too close. One thing you can do, which would not of been a possibility in this case, is if they are holding up and stubborn is to actually move away from them 10 or 20 yards at a time. Turkeys take patients tho, haha i think you learned that the hard way. Sometimes they come in storming, others it is silent and slow.

·
Registered
383 Posts
one big one (3/21/2010)Should you call more aggressive or less once you are on top of him? Did I call too much or too less?
I would let him get on the ground, if you can see him in the tree. If he looks over there and cant see a hen hes not coming. Atleast when hes on the ground his curiousity might get him killed. When hes on the ground and close cluck and purr and soft yelps, maybe just scratch in the leaves,just enough to keep him wanting it if you make him gobble alot hes probabbly gonna hang up and lose interest.

·
Registered
556 Posts
one big one (3/21/2010)Should you call more aggressive or less once you are on top of him? Did I call too much or too less?
Less aggresive. When a birds on the roost, Yelp <U>once</U> (softly), and if he answers you with a gobbleon the roost...Shut up and Sit tight till he flys down. As you found out this can take a while, but don't move.

Once he's on the ground, then start working him with some clucks and yelps. But, not too much. 9 times outta 10, less calling is better.

Sounds like you need to read this book...

http://pensacolafishingforum.com/fishingforum/Topic537604-42-1.aspx

Good Luck!

·
Registered
903 Posts
I was in Choctaw County yesterday in the rain and wind. Usually on days like that they will flydown later. Sounds like your in a good spot

·
Registered
342 Posts
me and my son had given up sat morn and if it was not 4 the hen clucking we would not have gotten our bird it was 9:20 before we heard him make his first noise and when we did i yelp and cluck softly just a few times the pics speak for them selves

·
Registered
556 Posts
HeartofDixie (3/21/2010)
Less aggresive. When a birds on the roost, Yelp <U>once</U> (softly), and if he answers you with a gobbleon the roost...Shut up and Sit tight till he flys down. As you found out this can take a while, but don't move.

Once he's on the ground, then start working him with some clucks and yelps. But, not too much. 9 times outta 10, less calling is better.

Sounds like you need to read this book...

http://pensacolafishingforum.com/fishingforum/Topic537604-42-1.aspx

Good Luck!
One big one, if you're still reading your thread, then read this link below (and the book/thread above)...

http://sports.espn.go.com/outdoors/hunting/news/story?page=h_fea_turkey_calls_tree-yelp_T.Behrens

I totally agree with the article about starting the day off with someSOFT tree yelps, then Shut-Up! I never call more than once to a bird on the roost. Even after he hits the ground you don't want to be too aggressive, but you can definitely start working him with some clucks and yelps then.

Good Luck!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts