Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any advice on replacing my string. I've googled my fingers off and can't find a replacement option for this marker. Any suggestions besides " become a better boat handler and ditch the buoy." The SureMarker buoy uses 100# line and I've also seen 200# braid suggested. Thanks for any input.

Attachments

·
Jaded Old Phart
5,909 Posts
How much you need? Got 200lb PP downrigger line.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wouldn't use 200 pound braid. What happens when it gets stuck or worse, wrapped around your hand and gets in the prop.

Very good points to consider. I don't tie straight to my weight, I use smaller mono and have broke off many weights... The prop is always a concern with braid. I've swam more than once to clear the prop.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's probably about 180'. Only one way to find out the exact length. Want it?
Don't need it for tripwire.....:D

Thanks Mark; I'll swing by this week. Been a crazy month so far with the boat. Almost there and my Garmin is giving up the ghost.

·
C-Hawk 245 Pilot House
5,159 Posts
If you'll pony up and buy one of the Minn Kota tolling motors with spot lock, you can throw that thing in the garbage can. :whistling::yes:

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Some folks have more ponies than the rest of us.
Braid is great for buoys, the small diameter produces a lot less drag than seine or tarred twine. You don't need high dollar Power Pro for a buoy, but some cheap ebay 4 strand, it works just fine. When pulling your buoy, have one person pulling and one winding, makes the process a lot easier.

Reactions: OHenry

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you'll pony up and buy one of the Minn Kota tolling motors with spot lock, you can throw that thing in the garbage can. :whistling::yes:
I had a pony when I tried to acquire one; was told by one of the local dealerships that I couldn’t put one on it because the pulpit would break. What’s your thoughts on that? I thought I could double the deck thickness with starboard, cut the rails back and move the anchor into one of the front boxes. Definitely on the want list!

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Got a lot to do with the weight your using on the string line of the float. I bought one of those bandit bouys that will let line out in the waves and pull it back in when it releases from the wave. Forgot and left it out there after the first time using it so I’m not sure how good it worked. Maybe who ever ended up with it can chime in.

·
C-Hawk 245 Pilot House
5,159 Posts
I had a pony when I tried to acquire one; was told by one of the local dealerships that I couldn’t put one on it because the pulpit would break. What’s your thoughts on that? I thought I could double the deck thickness with starboard, cut the rails back and move the anchor into one of the front boxes. Definitely on the want list!
Hmm. You're talking about a newer motor, maybe it's time to upgrade your total boat package. It's only money. :whistling:

·
Registered
7,238 Posts
Some folks have more ponies than the rest of us.
Braid is great for buoys, the small diameter produces a lot less drag than seine or tarred twine. You don't need high dollar Power Pro for a buoy, but some cheap ebay 4 strand, it works just fine. When pulling your buoy, have one person pulling and one winding, makes the process a lot easier.
I would never put braid on for buoy line. Only takes one problem. I've had a rod almost get cut in half from a King hitting a fly line on one and running around another. Twine will work.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts