Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure about the grand slam. Maybe just a slam. Either way, fun day. Launch time tomorrow is only 10 hours away and I get to do it all over again.

·
One eye fishing,
620 Posts
Mike and I hit crooked island early. Kind of a slow steady bite all morning
Trout were rockin at the wash out.
Pompano jigs and ball jigs were the lures.
Just curious CaptainPJ, When you fish crooked island, do you leave from Saint Andrews pass, or Mexico Beach canal? And what model of boat do you run? Judging from the amount of fish your deck holds, I don't think you probably launch at Davis beach.
Ive made the run from MB a few times in my brothers Carolina Skiff, and used to launch my G3 at the ramp in the lagoon, but haven't fished there in many years. Not since the security crackdown and permit requirement to launch.
Crooked Island Sound and the nearshore waters there used to be one of my (and my wife's) favorite places to fish. The shifting sands and the relative isolation kept it very interesting year after year…

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just curious CaptainPJ, When you fish crooked island, do you leave from Saint Andrews pass, or Mexico Beach canal? And what model of boat do you run? Judging from the amount of fish your deck holds, I don't think you probably launch at Davis beach.
Ive made the run from MB a few times in my brothers Carolina Skiff, and used to launch my G3 at the ramp in the lagoon, but haven't fished there in many years. Not since the security crackdown and permit requirement to launch.
Crooked Island Sound and the nearshore waters there used to be one of my (and my wife's) favorite places to fish. The shifting sands and the relative isolation kept it very interesting year after year…
I launch at the old sewage treatment plant ramp at the west side of the sound. I have a 19 foot Sea Hunt. Only once have I had problems launching and that was due to ultra low winter tides.
The sound is off the beaten path.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I like you're reports

I just now realize where this crooked island you Guys are always written about, actuely is located in Mexico Bch. Am I correct? For some reason I thought it was in P cola.

Dam this place looks like a cruiser/fishermans paradise.

are there any water front hotels w/ marina's

Time for me to expand my cruising area from existing ft.Morgan, AL- Destin,FL

Now expands to Mexico Bch. Been wanting to navigate crysal rivers mangroves.

Has Mexico bch city been rebuilt yet? Which is the recommended boat laucnhs and are they open?

Is land camping allowed at crooked island.

Are there a lot of bitting flies in this area?

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I like you're reports

I just now realize where this crooked island you Guys are always written about, actuely is located in Mexico Bch. Am I correct? For some reason I thought it was in P cola.

Dam this place looks like a cruiser/fishermans paradise.

are there any water front hotels w/ marina's

Time for me to expand my cruising area from existing ft.Morgan, AL- Destin,FL

Now expands to Mexico Bch. Been wanting to navigate crysal rivers mangroves.

Has Mexico bch city been rebuilt yet? Which is the recommended boat laucnhs and are they open?

Is land camping allowed at crooked island.

Are there a lot of bitting flies in this area?
There a zero marinas there. Just two dirt boat ramps. That's why it's nice.

·
Banned
52 Posts
Mike and I hit crooked island early. Kind of a slow steady bite all morning
Trout were rockin at the wash out.
Pompano jigs and ball jigs were the lures.
Nice mess of fish Captain. Is that an African Pompano stuck in between the spanish and the Fla. Pomps?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts