Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that there are members here whom never have eaten, much less hunted Bullfrogs.

Below are some of the pictures that Tony (my brother in law)..and Ronnie, (a dear friend of 20+ years) damn 205 frogs in two nights.:banghead:banghead:banghead

These were taken approx 30 miles South of Greenville, Mississippi, around the Rolling Fork area. I just wish I could find some around here. Unlike Mississippi, Alabama has no season much less a limit.

151 From their honey hole Friday night

Tony with a couple around 12"

(Tony) How are them legs....:hungry:hungry

Ronnie....

Can of "OFF" to compare the size. Unlike someone holding a fish at arms length to the camera.

People hunt them different ways..Some use a gig, some use a grab (grabs like a mouse trap traps a mouse) and of course the way we always do it....the sporting way...grab them by hand, although you need to be careful of the snakes. I remember years ago I was grabbing a frog, and didn't even see the snake wanting that frog...How I beat him to the frog without getting bit is belong me. As I was grabbing the frog the snake was lunging for it.:banghead:banghead

These are some of the finest meat ever put on the table. Susan took those pictures, now lets see how many she will bring back. I know without a doubt that Tony WILL give her some.:clap:clap:clap To Tony..:bowdown:bowdown:bowdown

By the way the largest frog I ever caught was a little over 18"...It took a friend and I, 3 days to bag him. By far the largest ever seen or heard being caught.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
That's one fine mess of frogs. We used to grab them by hand in north Louisiana when I was a kid. Looks like you cook everything but the head. We only kept the hind legs.

·
Registered
6,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dagwood (7/7/2009)That's one fine mess of frogs. We used to grab them by hand in north Louisiana when I was a kid. Looks like you cook everything but the head. We only kept the hind legs.
That's why we hand grab them, as 1) not to mess up the body meat, and 2) they stay alive. They are alive while cleaning....that's one for PETA..yup People Eating Tasty Animals:hungry:hungry For those that eaten them, some tell me they taste like chicken:nonono they are BETTER then chicken.

·
Premium Member
1,792 Posts
Tuna Man (7/7/2009)
Dagwood (7/7/2009)That's one fine mess of frogs. We used to grab them by hand in north Louisiana when I was a kid. Looks like you cook everything but the head. We only kept the hind legs.
That's why we hand grab them, as 1) not to mess up the body meat, and 2) they stay alive. They are alive while cleaning....that's one for PETA..yup People Eating Tasty Animals:hungry:hungry For those that eaten them, some tell me they taste like chicken:nonono they are BETTER then chicken.
they are definately better than any chicken i ever ate.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hey Dagwood, what part of N. La. are you from? I was born and raised in Tallulah, right there on the Miss. river, and we always grabbed them by hand. I remember when I was a kid growing up we would catch them, clean them and sell them to a local restaurant for 25 cents a pound, legs only!

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Gemdandy, About 17 miles west of you in Delhi. Born and raised. Hunted south of Tallulah on the Tensas River. Fished Lake Bruin, Gassaway,and Yucatan mostly.

·
Registered
6,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
murphyslaw (7/7/2009)Thats some big dang frogs Ron !!! Some body needs to bring some to the next PFF cook out.
I'd bring my first born before I brought Frog Legs:banghead:banghead:banghead

·
Registered
7,405 Posts
Those are some huge frogs.

We use to get them while running our air boats at night.

We would use cane poles, and we would straighten large fish hooks and make our own gig heads.

They reminded me of chicken.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Theres a local chineserestaurant that has them(all you can eat)....and thats almost all I eat when we go there....I used to catch & eat themwhen we would go to Canada on vacations(fishing)...I did find out..... if you don't pull the nerve out of the hind leg they would jump all over the pan while cooking...:)...thats all I ever ate where the hind legs(I didn't think there was anything else)

Those are some really HUGE ones for sure!!!

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
YUMMY!!!!

That is gonna be some fine eatin'. One of the things I miss about the midwest is going gigging for frogs. We used to hit every farm that had a pond to ask if they would mind if we cut their numbers. You could also run the mississippi island banks and load up.

·
Registered
6,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The Delta is prone to flood due to the poor drainage during a rain. So as to help most roads have deep ditches that fill with water and quite a few of these ditches will hold enough water enabling the frogs to surface from the ground under them. We have been known to run (drive a truck and spot) these ditches on a Sunday morning while church is in session. :blownaway :blownaway jump out and get them.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts