Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are they in the Pensacola Pass - or around bridges?,( Don't know the area too well- (Dixie Bar is a tavern, or a sand bar) ? Do you use shrimp, or cut bait? Fluro- braid, or mono? Bottom... casting or using a spoon?Any info is helpful. Thanks- Mac

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
A lot of information really depends on where your fishing. Over grassflats, from a boat, from land, from a pier....etc...

I do most of my fishing from the land and local piers. When fishing for Bull Reds I like to use live pinfish, pigfish, croakers, or fresh cut bait. I use a carolina rig with enough weight to keep the bait on the bottom. I use 30-40lb mono leader and a main line of 10-25lb mono. It's more fun with the lighter line. Also use a hook that is in correct ratio to the bait size. For the larger baits I use a 6/0 circle hook, for the smaller baits I use a 3/0

When in a boat and fishing around grass flats I like to use a spoon, jerk bait, or float a live bait under a popping cork. I will either use a 20lb mono leader or no leader at all........depending on the water clarity and so forth. I do much the same for fishing lights.....except I don't normally use a cork.

I hope this gets you pointed in the right direction.

·
Banned
910 Posts
Konz hit the nail on the head. You can also find them trolling a stretch 25 around the pass.

And don't forget they love jalepenos:

·
Registered
437 Posts
Dixey Bar (spelled Dixey for a ship that wrecked there before the Civil War) is at the mouth of Mobile Bay on the Fort Morgan (east)side. It stretches several miles to the south parallel to the Mobile ship channel, but reds are caught mostly near the point.

Most popular method is to anchor or drift on the channel side near the bar in deeper water and Carolina rig live, dead, or cut bait. When they are scattered or moving I've had good luck trolling saltwater supertraps on top of the bar and a little east. If you find a school feeding you can throw anything at them.

I use mono. They have poor eyesight and are often in pretty dingy water.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info- from everyone. I will be staying in the Pensacola area, and if the water is calm enough, will be on a boat. Guess I better get my rig together- rather be catching than riggin. I like advice from the "old folks"- experiencemakes a great teacher. Keep it Comin"

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I should have said that I am staying in the Pensacola Bay- live on Garcon Point. I meant that I don't have experience with my boat on the water- It will be my second time out, and with two friends less experienced than me- (fishing and boating):angel. Went to OUtcast today and Tim changed my reel line, and answered so many questions- such patience- AND he remembered me from a month ago when I was JUST starting to get equipment. Great Guy- if I catch a big one, I'll have to take him cookies- will owe you too Konz.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
For bull reds.....whole slab (one side) of mullet fished on the bottom on east side of pass. Use enough weight to keep it on the bottom (may take 4-6 oz depending on tide movement). Have fun catching them cause you can't keep any.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would Love to have an experienced angler with us- and he knows anyhthing about boats- that would be the best!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts