Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Your mom's a
6,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went out to get some video for Gulf Coast Outdoors (everyother Sunday at 8 p.m. on BLAB opposite Outcast) and we (Eric Holstman and I) managed to find two schools of bull reds off the beach.

A Connor's jig caught my first of the day -- I think a doughnut with a hook would've worked too -- but he broke me off because it was apomp jig and had a 10-pound test leader.

Got great video, lost the school, took an hour to find them again. Hooked up again, more video then went chasing pompano. Three bulls total.

Found a bunch (12-14 total in 2 hours) just East of the Pass but they were in a hurry to get somewhere and weren't interested in eating Connor's jogs. Eric got three or four to look at a jig but that was about it. I thought reds were tough to see but sightfishing for pompano is about as tough as it gets.

No pics but like I said it was a video trip.

Want to learn how to do it or how to find the bulls when no one else can? Come to the last HLS Seminar Series of the year Monday at Flounder's on Pensacola Beach. 6:30 buffet, 7 p.m. seminar. Free as always and 2-for-1 drinks.

·
Your mom's a
6,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They were West but heading East.

Also found one on some deep structure in the bay as well as heard of several folks getting them in the Pass.

Oh yeah, I watched the video of me trying to be gentle with a red -- you know how people would get pissed if I pulled him up by the face -- I give a clinic on how NOT to get a fish in the boat.

·
Registered
848 Posts
JoeZ, Eric, You didn't mention using Stretch 25s. What's your take on trolling stretches? My buddies Abe & Charlie went out today and might chime in here soon. Here's Charlie's recent Red w/Stretch 25,P'cola Pass.

·
Your mom's a
6,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Stretches are great, we pulled a few around Thursday looking for bay grouper -- no luck but did get a hit that knocked the eye out of one of the lures.

A Stretch will help you find them when they're deep or just subsurface. Like E said, it's always cooler to find them busting on top and chase them down.

·
Your mom's a
6,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm especailly proud of the part where I fought the fish with the last 6 inches of the rod tip in my hand.

I'm just glad I didn't fall off the boat, though that would've made for nice TV.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts