Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me and JEC got on the big bull reds today thanks to a tip from Captain Wes Rozier. We left them biting and could have caught all we wanted. We were not the only ones there either- 4 other boats were there when we checked our spot for the 3rd time today. Here are some pics.

I will post a link to a You Tube video later after it finishes uploading.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Me and a buddy were on the mako out there with yall. We were on the school for about 3 hours and caught a total of 43 redfish, needless to say I am very tired.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

I am sorry for the audio on this video- the stereo sounds great on the boat but pretty bad on video.

·
Fishing Goddess
1,072 Posts
good job mike! to me, nothing better than catching bull reds on light tackle...like stopping a freight train and when you get their heads turned, you've won the fish battle...good report and pics...

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Dale! Truth be told I had 8 ft. cobia/king rods with 30 lb. Power Pro and was still getting my ass kicked. In the chaos I was telling Jamie to throw the other rod (my otherheavy rod- we had 2 on board) while I was fighting one of my fish (the first one we hooked today)and he grabbed a 7 ft. trout rod with a 1/4 oz. Mirrodine on it and jacked one up. I can not believe he eventually landed the fish!!!

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
cody d (4/12/2010)Me and a buddy were on the mako out there with yall. We were on the school for about 3 hours and caught a total of 43 redfish, needless to say I am very tired.
Glad to see you are on the forum! You guys were bad asses throwing those light rods and jacking them up. Goes to show youth is where it's at. I was getting worn out too quick at the ripe old age of 36.I ran that spot 3 times today and the first two times nothing. Then the third time I tell my buddy I see like 4 boats in the spot and there has to be a reason. There was. I can't believe y'all only got 43- I thought it was more. Did you catch many after we left? They started running deeper but I was still seeing them. Hell I was running them over going home. My buddy wimped out claiming exhaust fumes from the motor got to him, and I had plans with my girl, so we had to boogie.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
mdrobe2 (4/12/2010)
cody d (4/12/2010)Me and a buddy were on the mako out there with yall. We were on the school for about 3 hours and caught a total of 43 redfish, needless to say I am very tired.

Glad to see you are on the forum! You guys were bad asses throwing those light rods and jacking them up. Goes to show youth is where it's at. I was getting worn out too quick at the ripe old age of 36.I ran that spot 3 times today and the first two times nothing. Then the third time I tell my buddy I see like 4 boats in the spot and there has to be a reason. There was. I can't believe y'all only got 43- I thought it was more. Did you catch many after we left? They started running deeper but I was still seeing them. Hell I was running them over going home. My buddy wimped out claiming exhaust fumes from the motor got to him, and I had plans with my girl, so we had to boogie.

Thanks for the "bad asses" claim. Ya the light tackle is a blast especially when using topwater lures. At first we had to use cobia rods and jigs because they were on the bottom most of the time, then once they were on the bar it was so fun watching them fight over the lures and coming out of the water. The 43 reds are the ones we boated, so we probable hooked twice as many. Sorry to hear about your buddy wimping out on you, next time just jump on our boat.

·
Registered
6 Posts

i was the other guy on the mako. here are some of the ones we wrestled on the boat. we were on that school for so long we would decide before we ran back to it whether or not we wanted a double or to catch them on light tackle or the larger rods and what lure to use. we left thems still biting also. I think the smallest one we got was twenty nine inches and that was off the first school we spotted which held smaller fish then the one yall were on.

·
Registered
46 Posts
nice catch.

i just got me a boat. I'm learning how to catch the fish out there. whats your secret?

cruz the water looking for schools of fish on the finder. then fishing that spot?

·
Registered
5,652 Posts
cambosoup99 (4/13/2010)nice catch.

i just got me a boat. I'm learning how to catch the fish out there. whats your secret?

cruz the water looking for schools of fish on the finder. then fishing that spot?
<SPAN id=_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl9_lblFullMessage>

Did You happen to notice the bird action over the water???

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey mitch66- thanks for posting. It was fun out there and I was glad to join the party. I had cruised that area all day off and on and was glad to see the fish decided to join the party. One thing you can do to help people read our thread is edit your post by hitting enter after each pic so it doesn't widen the post out. Makes it harder to read. Just an FYI. Thanks for replying and it was a blast fishing with y'all. I have never seen bull reds do that before. Super cool.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts