Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
went out with captain George Ballard last week and hooked up with 7 bull reds

all fish caught trolling in about 20' of water off of johnson beach.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Nice pics. I want to try trolling sometime for them. As long as it's a calm day, I'll try it with my bassboat. If you're trolling 20-30ft of water, how much line do you normally let out behind the boat?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Officer Bill (12/6/2007)Was that in the bay? Was that red on the deck a keeper?
These where caught on the gulf side of perdido key. No slot fish on this trip. All fish caught were safely released and are back out there waiting on someone else to come out and catch them.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
great pics!

i bet you guys were happy as a fly on a terd.....

or is it turd? either way, im sure you guys had a great time, thanks for sharing!!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for the kind words van staal & all of you. To answer some of your questions: 1) I troll 5 to 7 lines( I use my outriggers to get more spread on calmer days) 2 flat lines with big deep diving plugs like Rapala Magnum 30 X-raps or Yo-Zuri Hydro magnum deep divers 30& 50 feet astern; 2 Intermediate lines with Rapala CD-18 Magnums or X-Rap 20's at 75 & 100 feet back; If I use my outriggers I deploy them at 100 to 150 feet with Rapala Super Shad Raps . If you see The Offshore Animal Too trolling at ANY TIME or ANY PLACE please be advised that I am a semi-reformed Blue water fisherman And I ALWAYS troll a "Fly-pole" or shotgun line down the middle WAY WAY WAY back (200-300 feet). For reds I use a Golden Shiner Super Shad Rap which is aMenhadden ringer and gets eaten frequently. I use a 2-spped AVET MXL 6/4 on this rod with 30lb Braid, so please do not cut me off & get this stuff caught in your prop( It has happened a couple of times in the last 2 years.Sometimes use stretch 25's,But prefer lures that run above the bottom since I am finding most of the bait in 20-25 feet of water. Super shad raps run 19' deep: CD18 's run 18',etc.Fire Tiger is My Favorite Color & top producer. I have not tried the new textured finish stretches, but I hear they are made from different material and I can see they are shaped slightly differently than the originals and have been told that they run better. Thanks to David for posting the pics of our trip! You guys were a great crew, going 7 for 10. I wish we had caught one of those 2 critters that cut us off. Late seson Kings I'm sure...Happy Holidays to all! Tite Lines, CaptGeo

www.offshoreanimaltoofishing.com

1 - 15 of 15 Posts