Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
LADYFISH
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stopped at the Panama City marina(which is in the bay for those of u not familiar)this morn to do some spanish fishing and was using big yellow/glow gotcha type lure. 3 people hooking up on something big (one guy had a spinner shark we saw it jump outta water)
and getting cut off on smaller test line. I got my silver gotcha cut off so decided to put on a metal leader on my 50lb super slick and my other gotcha, a few casts later and I hooked on to something big and was thinking it was this shark that had cut everyone elses line well I fought him for a few minutes and he finally came up and rolled where we could see him and it was a 3ft bull red. I havent been fishing very long and have had a few redfish on but they have always gotten off after I saw them but before I could land them and this has been the main fish I have been trying to catch since spring so to get one on a damn gotcha was a big surprise. This is by far the biggest fish I have ever caught....what a great fight!!!

Attachments

·
I'd Love to Catch a
3,904 Posts
I've caught a few bulls on Gotchas as well, but it doesn't happen all that often! They seem to like bronze & chartreuse ones. Nice fish man!

·
LADYFISH
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks...I have never heard of anyone catching a red on one but cool to know its a possibility....yeah I was using big chartreuse one....im a woman;)

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Nice fish. I've had bull reds hit almost everything in my tackle box - gulp shrimp, yo-Zurich hard plastic shrimp, Mirrorlure 17MR and 52MR, spoons, shrimp, gulp shad, finger mullet, etc. I think if you hit them with anything, they'll bite.

·
LADYFISH
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I must be in the wrong place at the wrong time and im in Panama City dont know if they have been easier to catch over pensacola way because ive used redfish magic, spoons, gulp shrimpwith and without popper, and jig heads with variety of plastics and Ive only had 3 keeper size reds on since I started fishing in March, all 3 of which got off my hook but was able to see they were redfish before they did. Thats why I was so excited about this catch because March thru the begining of june (when the rain got bad and water got nasty) I fished at least 4 hours almost everyday either from land or on my yak at all different times of day and they always seemed to elude me so I was on a mission to get my first.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Most of mine have been caught on an outgoing tide along the channel leading out from weeks bay to mobile bay, before daylight. Really slows down for me after the sun rises.

·
Registered
661 Posts
if you want big reds now is the time. they are starting to run right off the beach and if you can get out to the pass, after the first cold front or when the water temps start to drop they will start stacking up in the pass

·
LADYFISH
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
if you want big reds now is the time. they are starting to run right off the beach and if you can get out to the pass, after the first cold front or when the water temps start to drop they will start stacking up in the pass

Yeah I heard you can catch nice reds out there near the jettys, I just bought a boat but I havent been out there yet. I never wanted to go to the park and fish from the jetty because they dont allow dogs and I always take my dogs fishin, and everywhere else for that matter.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts