Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad is going to build a wood jonhboat. It has been 20 + yearssince he has done one and is having trouble finding supplies. If any one can point him in the right direction it would be great.

Thanks Dave

·
Registered
490 Posts
Good fur is hard to find and not cheap.

Quality exterior A C Will suffice and it is cheaper it can be purchased at local homedepot or lowes it is only good when encapsulated With epoxy resin(use same method as fiberglass) I am assuming you are going to fiberglass it.Don't use polyester resin it is not waterproof even with gellcoat. Epoxy boat will out last you most likely.:)

I just purchased some plans hopefully will start build soon.

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
Go to Merridith Lumber in Gulf Breeze. [It's really closer to Midway.]

They have 3/8in,1/2in & 3/4in A-B Fir Marine ply in stock. [At least they do at the Ensley store]

Quality exterior A C Will suffice and it is cheaper it can be purchased at local homedepot or lowes it is only good when encapsulated With epoxy resin

You can not just encapulate Fir plywood with epxy resign. It needs a light layer of glass also.

If you use only the resign the wood will still "check".

Here is what checking looks like. This was a experiment I did many years ago. A single layer of 4oz cloth would have fixed this. It was built and just left in the weather. Nothing ever done to it.

Fir plywood where the Black field is. Epoxy coated, primed and painted with PPG Concept.

·
Registered
490 Posts
X shark

Dead on

I was not clear on that thank you all types need fiberglass mat ether Epoxy or Polyester

thats the only way to stop checking. The main thing to remember poly is NOT impervious to water Epoxy is

·
Registered
993 Posts
3/4 inch treated plywood, 1x4 treated, 2x4 treated, stainless spiral nails 1 1/2", stainless screws 1 1/2" and tons of 5200. it will leak the first time out but solid as a rock the next trip.

·
Registered
993 Posts
i rebuilt my granddads river boat. my uncle used it and left it in the yard to fill with water for years. i was lucky enough not to have to start from scratch. the sides and benchseats are original. i replaces bow, transom and bottom. i have his old air cooled wizard engine running it. i finished right after ivan. all the downed trees in the creeks had mullet bedding in them. one throw and it was time to heat the grease. that old boat has caught some fish. not much on chop but perfect for calm days in the bay and anytime in the creeks. yeah its heavy. especially when it has 45 mullet per cast in it. haha

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've only restored a couple of old wooden boats, not built from scatch, but here's the resources that helped me:

www.bateau.com

They sell plans and supplies. Check their forum out (http://forums.bateau2.com ). It is a wonderful resource of other builders as well as experts.

Marine Epoxy is a great laminating resin and more affordable than West System.

Also wooden boat forum on this site (although more sail boats and larger craft): http://www.woodenboat.com/forum/index.php

I have a bunch of 6oz and 17oz cloth I'd part with cheap, if you're ever this far west (Orange Beach, AL).

Best of luck!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts