Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of buying a bay boat and would like to have two or three offshore set ups. So when the days are calm a few buddies and I can run out to some wrecks. My budget is $300-$400 for each set up. I know you get what you pay for but what are some best "bang for your buck" set ups that would meet this criteria? Mainly used for snapper, AJ's, triggers, grouper etc.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
I personally don't think you should spend that much for something that may only get used a handful of times a year I would just go with a couple 4/0 combos and a couple larger spinning reel combos i like the shimano saragoosas.

·
Registered
73 Posts
For my bottom rigs I've been very happy with my two Penn Fathom 25N on an tiger lite jigging rod, don't remember the model but its stiffest one they have. They are light and have whipped a number of decent sized grouper, snapper and AJs.

·
Registered
590 Posts
A few 4/0 senators on outcast rods. All you'll ever need. Wash it and oil it and it will last longer than your boat. Throw in a penn 704 or shimano spheros spinning reel and you are good.

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
I agree 100% with Fishen. I use the Fathom 25n and tiger lite rods on my charters. These combos are affordable yet very nice and and extremely durable. Id do one of those, 1 Penn 5500 SSV Combo with the 7' rod (flat line and light trolling as well as pitch bait) and one 6500 SSV Combo with their jigging rod (jigging and bottom fishing). Put 65lb braid on the 25N, 30lb on the 5500 and 50lb on the 6500. Using an FG knot put at least 20' of 60lb fluro on the 25N, 30lb on the 5500 and 50lb on the 6500. These wind ons will allow you quickly and easily go from carolina rigs, to knocker rigs, to jigs/lures to even let you do some baisic trolling.

On my boat this is how I rig all of my gear as efficiency is key and being able to quickly change tactics is a nice option to have.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay thanks guys that makes me feel a lot better not having to spend that much money. I was looking at the tiger lite rods but I didn't know if they were worth the money or not.

·
Reel Insurance
3,789 Posts
I bought 2 TLD 15's on Star Aeriel Rods as well as two Tiger Lite Jig rods, one with a Lethal 100 and the other with a Boca 100. Think im all in with all 4 setups for $600 or so. Shopped for the best deal around holidays.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts