Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at trying my hand at precision shooting (I hate using the term sniper unless your actually one) and want a rifle in 223 or 308.
I like the look of the Remington SPS Tactical but ive read you can do the same thing with a 700 ADL and some minor changes saving around 200$
I know some of you on here are guru's on this subject so feel free to chime in.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Rem 700 LVS in 223 with rings and mount less then 100 rds. 575.00.

Rem 700 PSS 223 with a super sniper scope less then 100 rds.850.00 With out scope 650.00

To do it half way right It You have to do more than some minor changes if you expect it shoot real good H/B ave. cost 200/// stock used 150- new to 400.00 /////F/p used 50.00 may be A HSC is about 400. new. the PSS comes with a HSC stock the Lamt.is very good and is a lot cheaper. Been doing this for a long time. If you serious gave me a call 572-6611 Just my 50 cents jjj

·
Registered
471 Posts
Want comment on the savage,have seen some of there top end shoot good but I want work on one, Most all good Verm. are snipers are useing Rem actions. Just my 2 cents jj

·
Registered
314 Posts
it seems the argument is always between rem and Savage. Savage seems to have sweet guns out the box but the Remmington 700 line has the ability to build totaly ground up. I think the 700 looks a bit better than the savage but thats about where my advice ends.

·
Registered
572 Posts
it seems the argument is always between rem and Savage. Savage seems to have sweet guns out the box but the Remmington 700 line has the ability to build totaly ground up. I think the 700 looks a bit better than the savage but thats about where my advice ends.
Just to muddy the waters even more there's the old Winchester mod 70 action that FN produces.

Between the three I think the Remington 700 is better in terms of accessories. However, Savage makes great value rifles. The most important investment in precision shooting that many overlook is a good optic. Regrettably many people buy a great rifle, but buy a sorry piece of glass and blame the rifle.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
If you just want to test the waters with out breaking the bank then get a Savage 10 precision carbine, a model 12 BVSS, model 12 VLP, or a model 10 fcp. In Remington look at the SPS tactical. Any of these rifles will run you less than a grand and as a general rule will shoot encredibly well. Savage rifles shoot extremely well with very little to zero modifications so my money would go to Savage until I really learned the sport and felt like moving into something more "higher end".

You can build anything you want but you are going to have to pay to get it done. This includes getting something like an ADL and paying a gunsmith to do the work. You certainly aren't going to save any money going this rout.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts