Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like to fish from the surf, and i want to get more into trying bucktail jigs, and pompano jigs. What all can I catch with a bucktail from the surf? How should I fish it? IF you guys dont think i should use bucktails, tell me suggestions of what to use. ALso, most of the time i fish at gulf shores alabama.:fishslap:

·
Squid technician
10,484 Posts
It's easier to name what you can't catch with them. I grew up surf fishing in gulf shores and if I had to pick two lures to surf fish with for the rest of my life it would be a 3/4-1oz white buck tail and a krocodile spoon.

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
2nd that...grew up throwing 1/4 oz. yellow/white bucktails from pensacola - navarre...

They'll catch anythng that you can put it in front of. Also try tipping it w/ a small sand flea for pomps and small minnows for other toothy critters.

Good luck

·
Registered
537 Posts
I just started fishing in the gulf last year from my yak (within a mile) and from the beach. I have to say a white bucktails are without question the lure that I have cought the most fish off of. I make 3/8 oz white on white bucktail with a 12 in steel leader in my yak and catch everything I would catch trolling out there Blues, Spanish, Kings, Reds, Bobos ,and even sharks. I make them cause I couldnt find them around and got tired of looking.

Sent from my S3 using Forum Runner

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Jig Fishing

I will second what Chris says about a single lure. They included jigs in survival kits for years. If I had to chose one only; it would be an 'albino'(white head with white skirt).

I have caught almost everything on a jig except a shark.

I make my own jigs and teasers but am getting closer to one particular color combination which is a chartreuse head with either a pink, white or combination skirt. I do 'sweeten' my jigs with a piece of fresh peeled shrimp or GULP! C2

1 - 5 of 5 Posts