Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It has been a couple of years that I have started hunting now, and I have never had a bow kill because I shake like a leaf when I see something coming. It doesn't make any difference if it is a buck or doe. I just can't seem to control myself. My heart pounds so fast that I can't control it, so it makes it hard to make accurate shots.

Would you all have any advice on what to do?

·
Registered
681 Posts
Embrace it. If i didnt get that feeling when one walked out I wouldnt be in the tree. To give you some help with execution, BREATHE! I go in through the mouth and out through the nose. I dont like to breathe through my mouth with deer near cause of smell. Start thinking about your what you need to do to make a successful shot. Dont focus so much on the deer. Start thinking abiut where you need that deer to go and what your going to do when its there. When you draw pick a small spot to aim at. i try to pick a patch of hair. Aim small. Miss small. Just enjoy yourself man.

·
Registered
14,904 Posts
I'm right there with ya! I have been able to control it enough to get a buck or two every year with my bow. You gotta get your mind right. Concentrate on breathing... Deep breaths. Try to plan your shots from a sitting position (my knees shaking are about fifty percent of the problem). DO NOT stare at the rack. Determine its a shooter and don't think about the horns again. As the deer approaches, glance around like your not so focused.... And I hate to let anyone know this but I'm here to help ya.... I sing a song to myself. "Christmas card to you" by the Partridge Family. Really helps to give your mind something else to work on. Maybe you can pick a slightly more masculine song to use

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thank you for the advice! I will try the song tip next time. I appreciate you want to help, it means a lot to me.

To the others: I do embrace it. I love the feeling of being shaky etc, but I would be more satisfied if the feeling was a little more controlled, so I could hit something :)

·
OSOK
4,165 Posts
It has been a couple of years that I have started hunting now, and I have never had a bow kill because I shake like a leaf when I see something coming. It doesn't make any difference if it is a buck or doe. I just can't seem to control myself. My heart pounds so fast that I can't control it, so it makes it hard to make accurate shots.

Focus on your breathing....deep, regular. slow breaths. Try shooting at your natural respiratory pause (when you breathe out).

·
Registered
848 Posts
I have the same problem with a rifle. I love it. I had been hunting about 6 years in a row and never actually had a deer come within a realistic range. So when one came out on opening day, about 30 minutes after I got into my stand I locked up. It felt like I was being punch from the inside my heart was racing so fast. I didn't move a flinch, but just starred at it. I swear that deer felt my eyes on it and jogged back and that's when I said screw it and picked up my gun. It's a miracle that I actually hit the deer.But now I'm going to try keeping my mind calm, cause if a buck would have walked out I would have been on the ground.

·
Registered
491 Posts
If your knees dont feel like jello after your shot, sell your bow and take up golf. Thats the thrill that those who have done it understand and those who havent never will .

It also makes you a better rifle hunter. You learn what you can get away with and not get away with at 15 yards. Makes it much easier at 150.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Talk yourself thru your shot, "slow steady draw, ear anchor, nose on string... whatever your anchors are. Breath, peep, pins, target, release" What ever I need to do to make the shot I do while practicing and it seems to help for everthing hunting.

·
Registered
154 Posts
This is why I like this forum so much. There's a lot of great people willing to share great advice. I'm the same way whether its a rifle in a shooting house 150 yards out or in a tree 20 ft up 5 yards out. I don't immediately stand up unless I need to, to let my adrenaline settle but I always tend to shake my head from left to right with a smirk and tell myself how stupid this deer is that it's walking around underneath me and don't even know I'm here. For some reason this helps me take control of the situation and gives me confidence. Guess It's as close to the fight or flight syndrome as you can get

·
Registered
681 Posts
Whats funny is all the times ive seen or shot deer from the stand, i still get wobbly knees. After everytime i shoot one i tell myself theres noway i get that nervous but time and time again it comes back. Even if i KNOW im not shooting ill still be.nervous why the deers out there. Its a one of a kind feeling.

·
Registered
4,958 Posts

when you dont get that feeling anymore is when you quit hunting!

just breathe and watch the deer and learn their movement and it will tell alot about the mood they are in. There is nothing better than that feeling of knowing your gonna shoot, then drawing back and letting one fly! then it all hits you at once and you cant breathe and stop shaking! best feeling in the world. Ive also been scared that the deer will hear my heart beating and run off

·
Registered
469 Posts
I was taught to practice by running wind sprints until you are sucking air then shoot one arrow then run more and shoot another arrow keep going and when you are sucking air force yourself to slow down and take a shot. You will get to the point that you can shoot really good. This really helps you remember your anchor points and form. I Hope You get one this year even if its a doe it is a feeling You cant what to feel again.

·
Registered
14,904 Posts
I was taught to practice by running wind sprints until you are sucking air then shoot one arrow then run more and shoot another arrow keep going and when you are sucking air force yourself to slow down and take a shot. You will get to the point that you can shoot really good. This really helps you remember your anchor points and form. I Hope You get one this year even if its a doe it is a feeling You cant what to feel again.
Dude! That is a horrible idea. I swore off wind sprints for any reason 30 years ago. Hahaha that might work but I don't think your gonna find many willing participants on this forum. We're all too old & fat! Lol!

·
Registered
681 Posts
Dude. Your being veerrrry undude.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts