Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Been hitting it hard since the bow opener and just haven't been able to get it done. Passed on shooting a nice buck on Thanksgiving so my son could shoot a doe that was closer, but we couldn't find her even though we knocked her down twice with shoulder shots with his .243 (I know, we should use my AR-15!).

All Christmas/New Year's break, I've been hunting the stand where we lost that doe hoping the big buck would come back, but nothing but does and bears. Yesterday I checked my cams in another plot about 500yds away and this nice tall 8pt was hanging out the past three mornings.

Got in the "whackin hut" at 0515 and the windows were stuck closed as I forgot to pre-flight the stand yesterday. Figured I'd skeered off anything within a mile when I got them unstuck. Sat for a bit, pissed about the noise I made, then checked the iPhone weather app and saw it had just turned legal shooting hours. Saw movement at the edge of the plot and put on my hearing protection muffs (I couldn't hear for two days after shooting a buck last year out of this same stand) and stuck the Xbolt .270 out the window.

He was looking right at me, quartering to, so I put it right behind his facing shoulder, up high, and squeezed off a round looking for a DRT. Didn't happen. At the time of the shot, my mag fell out (ooops!) as I watched him bolt off. I was sick....thinking it was repeat of my son's doe. Gave it about 30 minutes then climbed down and found lung blood at the site of the shot and some where he exited plot, so my confidence went up. Sat 30 more minutes, then came around the other side of the short pines and found him dead at the edge of a ditch. He ran about 100 yds with a high wicked entry double lung. Such a great feeling to find 'em.

Pre rut right now...it should only get better as we get deeper into January. Happy New Year!

4.5 y/o 8pt typical. 171# live weight.
46 degrees. NNE wind. 90 yd shot.
Browning Xbolt .270. Zeiss Conquest, 130gr CoreLokt
Gross: 96 Net: 93 (my rough scoring with steel tape)

Attachments

·
Registered
218 Posts
Very nice, glad you recovered him.

·
Hunter
1,022 Posts
That's awesome! Great story and cool pics. What a great buck too!

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Nice bay county buck

·
Super Moderator
28,635 Posts
Very nice buck!!! Big ole congrats!!!

·
Registered
674 Posts
Congrats!

Congrats on a very nice Buck! I you don't mind me asking what is growing in the food plot? I didn't have much luck with mine this year...Chaos

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
How do you like that Conquest?
Great scope. Cabela's did a promo mistake online and I got it for $300 shipped--wish I bought 3 of them. Clarity and low light performance is way beyond anything else in its price range.

I you don't mind me asking what is growing in the food plot? I didn't have much luck with mine this year...Chaos
Food plotting is farming....and farming ain't easy! Get a soil sample and check your pH, potassium and phosphorous levels. Need to get your pH to 6.5 to release the molecular bond that acid has with the nutrients in the soil. Takes tons of lime...literally. That plot is about 1 acre and has had about 12 tons of lime since 2010.

Last winter, that plot was planted with Wrenn's Abruzzi rye grain, chickory and Durana white clover. The rye dried down in April, then the chickory and clover fed the herd all summer....sprayed it for invasive grasses and kept it mowed to keep the clover regenerating. This fall, we seeded rye grain and Durana and Fixation white clover directly into the existing clover. Then lightly disked it in with some 13-13-13 fertilizer. Last week, I put a light coat of 13-13-13 with a hand spreader to green it up good for the rut. I also put about 20' of Egyptian wheat at the base of the condo to screen my entrance and exit.

This plot regularly has 5 to 6 does in it. I don't shoot does here as about this time of year, the bucks start showing up.

Attachments

·
Registered
674 Posts
Thanks for the information on food plots and I can tell you I have not been doing it right. but I will!!! Thanks again, and congrats on that fine buck!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts