Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
BRUCELLOSIS
Never heard of it, until today, had a lady request prayer for her son who the Dr says contracted it from cleaning a deer in Laurel Hill, she said another guy got it from a hog in DeFuniak. She said once you get it, you have it for life. They all wear rubber gloves and even masks when cleaning deer/hogs now. Anybody an expert on this?

·
Banned
3,081 Posts
Yeah the FWC has had a warning on it for years...and pass out cards for you to give your DR if you exhibit signs.

The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) is encouraging hunters to take precautions when dressing and handling harvested wild hogs.
Wild hogs, though not originally native to Florida, are now found within all 67 counties, and like any wild animal, can carry parasites and diseases - some of which can be transmitted to people. One such disease for hunters to be concerned with is swine brucellosis.
The FWC is advising hunters handling wild hog carcasses to take the following precautions to protect themselves from exposure to this bacterial disease:

• Avoid eating, drinking or using tobacco when field-dressing or handling carcasses.
  • Use latex or rubber gloves when handling the carcass or raw meat.
  • Avoid direct contact with blood, reproductive organs and fecal matter. Wearing long sleeves, eye protection and covering any scratches, open wounds or lesions will help provide protection.
  • Clean and disinfect knives, cleaning area, clothing and any other exposed surfaces when finished.
  • Wash hands frequently with soap and water.
When cooking wild hog, as with any wild game, care in handling is an important part of disease prevention, and the meat should be cooked thoroughly to 170 degrees. Swine brucellosis is not transmitted through properly cooked meat.

Brucellosis in people is called undulant fever and could be transmitted if a hunter cuts him/herself while field-dressing a wild hog or was exposed to the animal's blood or bodily fluids. Symptoms include a recurrent fever, chills, night sweats, weakness, headaches, back pain, swollen joints, loss of appetite and weight loss.

Hunters who exhibit these symptoms or may have been exposed should contact a physician.

·
Banned
3,081 Posts
Brucellosis

What is Brucellosis and How do People Get it?

Brucellosis is a potentially serious illness that may affect one part or several different parts of the body. It is caused by several different bacteria from the Brucella family.

Brucella bacteria are found naturally in some animals including sheep, goats, cattle, deer, elk, pigs, and dogs.

Brucellosis disease in humans is not common in the United States or in California, though it does occur.

During the period 1994-2003 there were 275 total brucellosis illnesses reported in California; of these 2 were in San Francisco. Human brucellosis cases are more common in regions without strong animal disease control programs, including the Middle East and Mediterranean regions, and in China, India, and Latin America.

People can get brucellosis by touching, eating, drinking, or breathing in Brucella bacteria. This is called exposure to brucellosis. Not everybody who is exposed to brucellosis will get sick. But many will, and as the Brucella bacteria multiply inside the body, they can cause serious illness.

Someone can get exposed to naturally-occurring brucellosis by:

• Touching the hair, skin, or meat of an infected animal
  • Drinking raw or unpasteurized milk or eating raw milk products such as queso fresco that are contaminated with Brucella bacteria
  • Breathing air contaminated with Brucella bacteria (especially farmers or meat workers)

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
My best friend got it last deer season. It had him in and out of the hospital for a good three months. His temperature was always going up real high and it made him extremely weak.He is definitly one of the toughest guys I know(he is half native american) and it made him miserable. All he hunts is public land either Blackwater or Eglin.

·
Registered
14,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My best friend got it last deer season. It had him in and out of the hospital for a good three months. His temperature was always going up real high and it made him extremely weak.He is definitly one of the toughest guys I know(he is half native american) and it made him miserable. All he hunts is public land either Blackwater or Eglin.
That's enough for me... Where can I get some gloves and a mask!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts