Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like I may have taken out a couple of brother bucks. Or maybe a father / son duo. I don't know...just comparing the racks, they both have very similar features.

Took the 9pt (left pic) last season on Thanksgiving Day. He was right at 200 lbs, and had been eating pretty good. Took the 8pt (right pic) New Years Day '08...about 175 lbs...See the thread 'Rattled Me Up One'. The one on the left had a inside spread of about 18 in, while the one on the right was about 17.25 in. Both had tall tall tines of the same length and shape. Both had long main beams with very similar shape.

I don't know if there're actually related, I'm just bored & thinking out loud and thought they might have the same genes.

What do you guys think???

·
Registered
185 Posts
If they were killed on the same property which I assume they were I'm sure they are kin. Some areas We hunt have all high narrow racks while another spot has wide racks. I think it is because of the genes in that area which are passed on from one generation to the next. A dominent buck will be replaced by one of His offspring. Just My 2 cents.

They were both very nice bucks by the way.

·
Premium Member
1,792 Posts
definately the same genetics there, we've got a six point strain on our place. almost every year somebody shoots a huge six pt., 180# to 200 plus #'s. spread 20 ins. or better with very long tines. these are mature deer and a six pt. is all it seemsthey will ever be.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
David Ridenour (1/2/2008)Hopefully both had spread their genes around a few times before taken.
Thats the only down side (if there is one) to taking out big bucks...their genes are gone. I just hopethey sowedtheir oats many many times.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ilander (1/2/2008)If they were killed on the same property which I assume they were I'm sure they are kin. Some areas We hunt have all high narrow racks while another spot has wide racks. I think it is because of the genes in that area which are passed on from one generation to the next. A dominent buck will be replaced by one of His offspring. Just My 2 cents.

They were both very nice bucks by the way.
Yeah, they're from the same property. Actually, they we're both killed a half mile from each other.

·
Registered
601 Posts
HeartofDixie (1/2/2008)
David Ridenour (1/2/2008)Hopefully both had spread their genes around a few times before taken.
Thats the only down side (if there is one) to taking out big bucks...their genes are gone. I just hopethey sowedtheir oats many many times.
I read somewhere once that a mature buck will breed as many as 8 does per rut, assuming you have a healthy doe population that is. I think it was in Deer & Deer Hunting when I was a kid. Even as a 2 1/2 yr old, even if he only breeds a couple, he's still passing on those genes, so chance are you'll see something like that again in the future. Nice bucks whatever happens.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Blue Hoo (1/3/2008)

I read somewhere once that a mature buck will breed as many as 8 does per rut,

and at that, most healthy does are going to drop twins. so that comes out to being no less than 16 baby-monsters runnin around next year!!

You guys are making me feel better about those two being out of the gene pool. Good to know they have probably knocked-up several does during their tenure.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts