Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got off the phone with my brother, who lives near monroeville. They said all Covington County roads were closed today due to flooding, all schools were closed (conecuh county schools too, I think). There is supposedly a foot of water in the Brewton Bank right now...

Sounds pretty soggy to me. I know a friend in Evergreen who said they poured out 5 1/2 inches from a rain gauge last week alone.

Just thought I would get the word out there to anyone thinking of heading North anytime soon. You might find roadways blocked off.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Yep!! Mitch and I camped near there this weekend for opening day. I looked out Sunday to a Lake with horses standing knee high. Left our camper there for this weekend and hopefully it isn't flooded away like the other one did in IVAN> Our ark isn't build as well as Noah's.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
New update:

This was on facebook a few minutes ago.... In regards to the bridge west of Florala.

<U>Does anybody know if the Yellow River Bridge is closed or any part of 55 south?</U>

<U>I talked to Tim Powell earlier today and he was moving his cows from the pastures behind the old restraunt, he also said that they had to open flood gates or something at the lake in OPP because water was backing up over 331 on the north end of it. So there more than likely be water over 55.....JABBO</U>

I also talked to dad tonight. He said the same place that poured out 5 1/2 inches of rain last week, they poured out 6 1/2 inches that fell between sunday night and monday night. It also rained hard all day today, so no telling what the aggregate is up to by now.

Already got several roads closed due to water being over them.

·
Jim T's sworn enemy!
2,258 Posts
Was thinkin about putting some navigation lights on the truck case a barge floats down Gulf bch, hwy. while I'm goin to work in the morning. Worst dang winter that I can remember in a long time! Is it even winter yet? :hoppingmad

·
little ol me !
582 Posts
I got an email about road closures in Escambia County, here is the "cut and paste"

<SPAN style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold">Sent: Tue Dec 15 11:02:29 2009
<SPAN style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold">Subject: Media Advisory- Northbound Traffic to I-65 <SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: 'Times New Roman'; FONT-SIZE: 12pt"><P class=MsoNormal><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 11pt; FONT-WEIGHT: bold">Travel Advisory-<P class=MsoNormal><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 11pt">If you are trying to get to Interstate 65 from Pensacola, you will need to take Highway 29 North to Highway 97 (also known as the Atmore Cut-off) to Interstate 65. Once you cross into Alabama, Highway 97 will become Highway 21, but this will take you to Interstate 65.<P class=MsoNormal><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 11pt"><P class=MsoNormal><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 11pt">Highway 29 remains closed at the Alabama state line in Century. As a result travelers are unable to reach Interstate 65 via Highway 31 and Highway 113.<P class=MsoNormal><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 11pt"><P class=MsoNormal><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 11pt"><P class=MsoNormal><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 11pt">

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Anybody know if you can get to I-65 taking the route up Hwy 87 to Hwy 41 and then up either Hwy 41 or Hwy 31 to I-65?

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
billyk (12/16/2009)I got an email about road closures in Escambia County, here is the "cut and paste"

<SPAN style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold">Sent: Tue Dec 15 11:02:29 2009
<SPAN style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold">Subject: Media Advisory- Northbound Traffic to I-65 <SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: 'Times New Roman'; FONT-SIZE: 12pt"><P class=MsoNormal><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 11pt; FONT-WEIGHT: bold">Travel Advisory-<P class=MsoNormal><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 11pt">If you are trying to get to Interstate 65 from Pensacola, you will need to take Highway 29 North to Highway 97 (also known as the Atmore Cut-off) to Interstate 65. Once you cross into Alabama, Highway 97 will become Highway 21, but this will take you to Interstate 65.<P class=MsoNormal><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 11pt"><P class=MsoNormal><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 11pt">Highway 29 remains closed at the Alabama state line in Century. As a result travelers are unable to reach Interstate 65 via Highway 31 and Highway 113.
<P class=MsoNormal><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 11pt">Doesn't look like I can get through Brewton on Hwy 41 so I might have to take the route you posted here, a bit out of my way from Navarre area. I'll have to look at Mapuest and figure out the best route, don't need to run into any road closures at 4 am tomorrow on my way to hunt in Conecuh County! Wonder what the creek looks like going through our camp, could be interesting! <P class=MsoNormal>Alabama Emergency Road Closures Link http://aldotgis.dot.state.al.us/RoadClosures/Default.aspx<P class=MsoNormal><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 11pt"><P class=MsoNormal><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 11pt">

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You can take I10 east to the holt exit, jump off and go north to HWY 90, turn right, go to next paved road to the left (Galliger cutoff, or something similar, across from the junkyard). Take that to the dead end at the gas station, turn left onto HWY189. That goes through baker, blackman, turns intoHWY 137 in alabama, go thruwing, blue lake, on to HWY 29 just south of Andalusia. Don't know where you need to go from there, but that gets you around brewton.

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
angus_cow_doctor (12/16/2009)There are only 3 main ways to go north. Hwy 29, Hwy 41, and HWY 189. Sounds like 29 and 41 are not good right now....
Thanks for the information Cow Doc, I figured it out none the less on mapquest, you are correct. After I hit Andalusia I'll be heading NW on 55 to Georgiana and then west on 106 to my destination. Who knows, Imight get there quicker this way avoiding that long drive through the downtowns of Milton and Brewton. This way avoids the big towns mostly. Time to get some sleep, good luck this weekend everyone!

·
Jim T's sworn enemy!
2,258 Posts
I got a 2-3" chop in my yard! :hoppingmad About to declare a small carafe advisory and put the lifejacket on! WTF!

·
Neptune calls me "Daddy"
9,097 Posts
bonita dan (12/17/2009)I got a 2-3" chop in my yard! :hoppingmad About to declare a small carafe advisory and put the lifejacket on! WTF!
Dan,

Whatever you do... DO NOT!,... I repeat,... DO NOT seek safety on the"Elbow Room" during a flood !!!:banghead:banghead:nonono:nonono:nonono:shedevil:shedevil

Jim

·
Jim T's sworn enemy!
2,258 Posts
Your absolutely right Jim! I forgot to put the plug in! :doh

1 - 17 of 17 Posts