Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brand new to the Yak scene. Being military with little pay what would you guys suggest be the best "mods" to begin with. I have searched the sights and wish I had about 2k to spend on everything I saw on here. Thanks for the help.

P.S if anyone is selling anything spare things for the Yak plz pm me.:thumbup:

·
Terrible Fisherman
384 Posts
If you really plan on kayak fishing id say the best investment would be a quality seat. I have a $200 seat and it is worth its weight in gold!!!! I used to paddle a yak with an el cheapo seat and would be sore in an hour or so now I can fish for 5-6 hours before my tailbone starts to bother me.

·
central florida refugee
571 Posts
i love my cheap humminbird ff it sure helps catchin bait off the beach best $100 ive put in mine so far and X2 on the seat a cheap seat sux !!!

·
Registered
105 Posts
If you're just getting started the things to invest in are a good life jacket that you can attach pliers, fish grabber, and knife to. A good comfortable seat, try the one that comes with your yak and if your miserable on it then upgrade. Lastly is a solid crate to organize your gear and rods. If you have these basics down then you can add on some strategically placed rod holders and maybe a fish finder. Also if your out at night make sure to get a good light so boaters can see you.

If you are just going to be fishing the flats then I would hold off on getting a fish finder for a while. Google Earth will give you a good feeling of where the drop offs are where you are fishing in the flats. Once you start venturing off shore then you will want to invest in GPS and Fish-finder.

I'm also military so if you have any questions send me a PM and I'll do my best to answer your questions. If you haven't bought a Yak yet then watch craigslist religiously. I did this and bought my Ocean Kayak used for half price even though it was only 2 years old. That left me plenty of cash to customize.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Welcome to the addiction, a lot of great people here. I love my hobie outback, but they are pretty pricey. Good luck with your yak choice, and keep an eye on the "yaks for sale" column as well. I've seen some great deals on there, but going quick is an understatement! I'm sure you'll get plenty of customization help once everyone knows what kinda yak you got. Thanks for your service!

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Brand new to the Yak scene. Being military with little pay what would you guys suggest be the best "mods" to begin with. I have searched the sights and wish I had about 2k to spend on everything I saw on here. Thanks for the help.

P.S if anyone is selling anything spare things for the Yak plz pm me.:thumbup:
Welcome! Welcome!

As has been mentioned above, get a good seat that provides a lot of support to your back.

Also, get a good lightweight paddle. I personally recommend one with a carbon fiber shaft for lightness and plastic blades for durability. You're probably going to spend at least $100 on each, your paddle and seat!

Besides those a good PFD is a must. It needs to be comfortable enough for you to WEAR AT ALL TIMES!!! I don't care how good a swimmer you are if your yak flips and then whacks you upside the head, it won't matter!

I was out in the gulf once in conditions that got worse while I was out. My yak got turned sideways by the surf coming back in. I got dumped towards shore and the waves pushed my yak right over top of me. I knew it was coming so I ducked my head and covered up so I wasn't knocked out or disoriented when it hit me. However, it could have gone very badly if I hadn't been wearing my PFD. The current was very strong and difficult to swim and catch up to my yak, not to mention hanging on and directing back to the beach.

DO NOT EVER keep you PFD stashed in a hatch or even under a bungee and expect to be able to put it on "if something happens". When $#1t hits the fan in a kayak, you needed your PFD on 5 minutes ago, you don't need to be trying to dig it out and put it on while you should be paddling or otherwise trying to prevent whatever's bad from happening.

Good luck!
Alex

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
Welcome! Welcome!

As has been mentioned above, get a good seat that provides a lot of support to your back.

Also, get a good lightweight paddle. I personally recommend one with a carbon fiber shaft for lightness and plastic blades for durability. You're probably going to spend at least $100 on each, your paddle and seat!

Besides those a good PFD is a must. It needs to be comfortable enough for you to WEAR AT ALL TIMES!!! I don't care how good a swimmer you are if your yak flips and then whacks you upside the head, it won't matter!

I was out in the gulf once in conditions that got worse while I was out. My yak got turned sideways by the surf coming back in. I got dumped towards shore and the waves pushed my yak right over top of me. I knew it was coming so I ducked my head and covered up so I wasn't knocked out or disoriented when it hit me. However, it could have gone very badly if I hadn't been wearing my PFD. The current was very strong and difficult to swim and catch up to my yak, not to mention hanging on and directing back to the beach.

DO NOT EVER keep you PFD stashed in a hatch or even under a bungee and expect to be able to put it on "if something happens". When $#1t hits the fan in a kayak, you needed your PFD on 5 minutes ago, you don't need to be trying to dig it out and put it on while you should be paddling or otherwise trying to prevent whatever's bad from happening.

Good luck!
Alex
VERY GOOD ADVISE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Scott

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the advice so far.

I ended up picking up a Used Ascend FS12T and a FS128T. I plan on putting the bassyak kit (homemade though) here in the next few weeks.

·
Terrible Fisherman
384 Posts
Thanks for all the advice so far.

I ended up picking up a Used Ascend FS12T and a FS128T. I plan on putting the bassyak kit (homemade though) here in the next few weeks.
You should do a write up on the trolling motor install. I did mine and so did my buddy but we didn't do build threads. I wish we would have it might have helped me out some to get different perspectives. I'm actually in the process of re doing mine with a bigger motor and actual deep cycle batteries. Good luck pm me if I can help.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts