Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I am new here and don't have much experience in offshore fishing. I grew up fishing off the pier in Gulf shores and now I own a boat. I am planning on doing some trolling this summer and I have got the bug to start gearing up. I have an old Penn 4/0 and some spinning reels. Nothing fancy but I'm not planning on catching much more than alot of fun. My question is do I use braided or monofilament line on my Penn? What lb test should I use? I will probably be trolling within about 10 miles of shore for King, Dauphin, Ling, etc.

Thanks for the help,

Greg

·
Registered
374 Posts
I use 40lb. mono. Good for everything. My opinion is that you need the stretch mono provides when a fish hits and the rod is in the holder. 4/0 penn will hold around 450yds. of 40#

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,547 Posts
I use hi-vis yellow40 # mono to troll with.

Yes and welcome to the forum

·
Registered
264 Posts
What is the deal with Hi Vis? I have heard of people using it but it seems as though the fish would see it. Can someone shed some some light on the subject. I use 40lb big game (Dark Green)on my reels and I troll and bottom fish with them.

·
Registered
374 Posts
GULFFISHER1 (12/18/2007)What is the deal with Hi Vis? I have heard of people using it but it seems as though the fish would see it. Can someone shed some some light on the subject. I use 40lb big game (Dark Green)on my reels and I troll and bottom fish with them.
Hi vis helps you keep track of your lures when your trolling. Also you can just glance to see where you have them set and when you are on with a fish it helps knowing where your lines are!:letsdrink

·
Registered
119 Posts
Also, in my experience trolling with braid, if using a downrigger etc it is tough to keep thebraided linein the clip because it is so small and slick. I use mono now with no problem.

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,547 Posts
GULFFISHER1 (12/18/2007)What is the deal with Hi Vis? I have heard of people using it but it seems as though the fish would see it. Can someone shed some some light on the subject. I use 40lb big game (Dark Green)on my reels and I troll and bottom fish with them.
You usually use double line to leader so the hi-vis is far enough away from the lure/bait that it makes no difference. It is for sure easier to keep track of your spread.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
The high viz is the shiznittelbam! If you are already spooled with expensive braid, you can always go to outcast and have them put a 100yd mono top shot on your reel.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
WOW, this is great. Thanks alot for all the help. I think I will look on ebay for some #40 mono. I have braided on it now but it is about 20 years old so I guess it needs to go anyway.

Thanks again for all the help. I am having fun gearing up for the summer.

Greg

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
40# is a scoche bit heavy though for kings........for me anyway, I guess unless you're sporting an all purpose rod

·
Registered
6,190 Posts
orion (12/18/2007)Also, in my experience trolling with braid, if using a downrigger etc it is tough to keep thebraided linein the clip because it is so small and slick. I use mono now with no problem.
brnbser (11/20/2007)As far as the fraying of the braid, I keep the wire onthe spool as backing and still have the tuff line on there as well with the power pro over the top. I normallydouble about the last 5-6' of the braid with a spider hitch and cut it off and re-tie after each use. I learned that from Drew Mixon last year and it workedgreat for me this year.

I've tried a little bit of everything as far as releases also. I don't like the pincher releases that come with the downriggers at all and have tried several similar versions and either broke the clip or lost fish because of all of them.

I've make several versions of my own with mono and a aftco goldfinger clips but they have changed their design and the older style is hard to find and occasionally hang up so I started using 10# rubber bands. That worked the most reliable and it was suspended inline with the braid and above theball so no tangling.

I recently made another change and just made a length of braid witha spro snap swivel on each end of the braid attached to the back of the downrigger ball and used the 10# rubber band on the other end. This does have it problems, especially if your fishing in rough seas, the ball will spin when it out of the water and the braid attached to the back will wrap around it if your not paying attention.

I normally put 5 twists in the fishing line before putting it in a clip or rubber band. As Frenchy talked about earlier, this can be dangerous if your not careful. I got caught twice this year with the 5 wraps around my index and middle finger and a big fish in full run on the other end. The first time was so bad, the mono cut both fingers open before I could cut the line. The second time, I had enough sense to spread my fingers and was able to get it off and get the fish.

Kind of long winded but it should give you a starting point on what you do and don't want to try.
http://www.pensacolafishingforum.com/fishingforum/Post.aspx?SessionID=g5qyt445u22oul55dewpwc45

·
Registered
941 Posts
It's already been said. Mono, but for trolling in close 20# is enough. It's what I use for Kings and allows even a school king to be fun.If you want to troll and bottom fish, use the 40# but set your drag lighter for more fun while trolling. HI-VIS, easy on the Capt to see, but I think the fish can be wary of it too. Welcome to the Forum and the joys of having a boat!

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
20 is plenty for trolling in close but he mentioned that he was going to use a 4/0. Putting 20 on a 4/0 would not make much sense. I would at least drop to a Shimano 15 or 25 or the equivalent.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Again, thanks for all the help.

I guess I will try to get about a #30 line for the Penn.

I also have an old Quick 330 and a Mitchell 302 that I will probably use too(they go back to my pier fishing days in the 70s with my father, boy what I would give to have a day on the pier with him right now). I think I have #17 on those. I am thinking about getting another, less antiqueish spinning reel about the same size. Any suggestions? I don't want to sink a boatload of money in one. I would like the best reel for the $$. Hopefully less than about $75.

Thanks for all the help, this is great.

Greg

·
Premium Member
2,689 Posts
i know that its different strokes for different folks.......but personally I prefer 30 on my tld 25s for trolling in close. plus you can use it for snapper on the close wrecks. as for the hiviz.......i don't use it nearshore. for kings and bobos and other close in species i usually only run 2-3 lines. Its not like billfishing where you have 5-7 lines out plus teasers and you have to know exactly where everythig is. even then if you stagger your spread correctly you won't have any problems with clear line.

A lot of people use braid for trolling, but like someone statedabove you need a top shot of mono to give the line some stretch. or if you're using lever drags you can compensate by using a lighter strike drag

·
Registered
374 Posts
There are some good reels, personally I use Penn and a 750 loaded with 20# would be perfect. Shimano also makes good reels, just buy the best you can afford and if you can save a little longer get a good reel, you won't be sorry for spending a little extra! And Welcom aboard!:letsdrink

1 - 20 of 30 Posts