Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok Ive been using 20# cajun red on most of my inshore reels spinning and casting its been very reliable but been thinking of trying the braids heres my ?s whats tha better brand for saltwater and where to get the best price and what pounds test I mostly fish the 3mile bridge and around the pass bottom fishing mostly and sometimes use jigs

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
SUFFIX!!!!! depends on reel size around structure i would fish 20 or 30 the 20 has a 6lb dia. and the 30 has a 8lb dia

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
fisheye48 (1/5/2010)SUFFIX!!!!! depends on reel size around structure i would fish 20 or 30 the 20 has a 6lb dia. and the 30 has a 8lb dia
Why Suffix?? You have indicated on other threads that you dislike Power Pro........just courious.....

·
Registered
197 Posts
Braid is possibly a lot stronger than you may think. Its weak point is at knots. Also its does not handle sudden jerking well.

Here is an article that tells you what several popular brands test out at:

http://www.sportfishingmag.com/techniques/natural-baits-and-terminal-rigs/at-the-breaking-point-43557.html

Power pro has worked very well for me for 10 years plus until Shimano bought it out.Then the quality control went wrong for a while. A spool of 30lb would break at 60 and then at 5. Not good.(The same thing happened to G Loomis in my opinion and that is worth less than .02c).

Now i use Invisibraid, Stealth and regular fireline, they work well for me. Not as well as PP used to be, but still good.I have personally landed 15lb hybrid striped bass (non reciprocals, in Oklahoma) on 6# stealth and never once felt like they could pop the line. The 6# and 8# is so thin i do not use floro as a topshot unless i am in gin clear water or where there are zebra mussels.

·
Squid technician
10,484 Posts
Wow, another apples and oranges scenario.

I personally hate sufix braid. I get more wind knots with it and the abrasion resistance has always been an issue with me. After losing 2 big tuna in a row with 65lb sufix a couple years ago I vowed to never use it again. BUT, there are obviously those who love it as well. I've used about 2 dozen different brands of braid over the last 15 years or so and my top 3 favorites are Power Pro, Tuf line XP and Cortland Spectron. For backing on a big reel I would say Jerry Brown or Berkley Big Game but thats a different matter.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">I started with Power Pro but have switched to Suffix and have been very pleased with the performance.

·
Registered
386 Posts
here are teh braids i have used and my opinions on them

power pro- good in the heavier stuff 30lb+ test. i dont like it the lighter stuff because i would get a lot of wind knots.

suffix- i like it under 30lb. great for inshore. i didnt notice as many wind knots as other braids.

fireline- i have used it with very good results. doesnt slip as easy, strong, and i have notice it doesnt slice through everything as easy as other braids. after about 4 months though i started to notice wind knots but i jus trimmed a little off and didnt have that problem any more.

spiderwire- it wasnt as bad as i have heard it was but when u get a wind knot (u will) then its done.

i havent tried Ohero yet but i checked it out at sunjammers the other day and it will be the next line i try out.

·
Registered
174 Posts
spider wire or power pro

nothing like bowing up on a bull and not having to worry about breaking off.when you go to turn him

sports authority has got good deals on either

·
Registered
226 Posts
speaking of braid, if your in the destin area, half hitch has a big sale goin on and the ugly braid made by shakespeare is on sale for 4.99. I dont use braid, and dont know if that stuff is any good, but for 4.99.....

·
Registered
92 Posts
which ever type braid you choose make sure to use a leader. i use floro and join it to the braid with a uni-knot. after useing cajun red kine your gonna be suprised at the increase in the amount of fish you catch.

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,543 Posts
For casting you will not find a better braid than Ultracast Invisibraid. For offshore both bottom fishing and jigging I use either Jerry Brown solid or Tuf-Line XP. Had nightmares with powerpro long before Shimano bought them out.

·
Registered
289 Posts
i use power pro but i think that all braid is about the same just becareful couse due to the small dia it will cut your fingers if u are not carefull i use alot of florcarbon leader if u were to catch a world recard fish it wont count due to the breaking streath of the braid :usaflag

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thank you all for your feedback on this post looks like suffix it is I am a firm believer in floracarbon leaders for sure proved to get more bites and again thank you soo very much I just didnt want to waste good money on something Im not sure about

1 - 19 of 19 Posts