Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently using mono line but I am starting to hear some good things about braided line and think it might be time for me to make that switch. I hear that braided line allows for farther casting distance which would be great for me when fishing from the pier or shore. What are the advantages/disadvantages of braided line? Should I use a leader when fishing with cut bait? Is there a particular brand that is better such as Fins, Sufix, Powerpro, etc?

·
Registered
373 Posts
I am currently using mono line but I am starting to hear some good things about braided line and think it might be time for me to make that switch. I hear that braided line allows for farther casting distance which would be great for me when fishing from the pier or shore. What are the advantages/disadvantages of braided line? Should I use a leader when fishing with cut bait? Is there a particular brand that is better such as Fins, Sufix, Powerpro, etc?
Braided line is great for casting long distances and for jigging. With a great rod you can feel the smallest tap with a lot of line out. For pier fishing unless its cobia, i would use mono. Cobia tend to head for pillings so the braid gives you more strength to pull them. Advantages: sensitivity, strength, and casting distance. Disadvantages: strength, no stretch, and cost. And yes i would use a leader especially off the beach due to abrasion. Powperpro is starting to get a little crappy. But its still good, but i would use sufix. Also their are some Chinese braid that is really cheap and goood. You can look at one of my older threads for Chinese brands to use. Bottom line pier fishing/shore mono will be better unless your fishing cobia/sharks. Boat go with braid unless you are fishing kings. With the quick runs and the monos stretch you will catch more fish. Really its your preference.

·
On a boat
928 Posts
I still prefer mono for my light duty casting. But on my larger spinning reels and my trolling reels it's braid all the way. I always have a 50yr top shot of mono though for stretch and absorbing shock.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
This'll go at least a half-dozen pages!!!

Ok to be more helpful, nearly all of my combos (inshore & offshore) are spooled with braid. Though I wasn't too crazy about it at first, I've been using it for over 10 years and love it. Some applications I still use a mono or fluoro topshot, i.e. trolling, for shock absorbance. However, braid allows for so many advantages in line capacity, sensitivity, casting distance, and abrasion resistance. I definitely recommend spooling up one of your combos with it to start getting used to it.

The most important thing you need to do with braid is every time you make a cast, you need to put the line on the roller after you close the bail. If you just turn the handle to automatically close the bail, your line may end up with a loop. If it does, you're likely to get a wind-knot on a later cast and those are much harder to get rid of with braid than in mono.

As for brands, I personally use powerpro but that's just what I've used for 10 years and I'm confident with it. Every person who comments will argue in favor of a different brand of braid and say that all the others a crap. Pretty much all the brands you mentioned plenty good. Your knots will break before the line itself breaks. Try a few different kinds and find out what makes YOU confident.

Good luck!
Alex

·
Banned
4,905 Posts
Like everyone else said, braid line is the way to go. When it first came out I didn't jump on the band wagon even when my fishing buddies raved about it. Now I never fish without it.

Trolling I have mono top shots for shock absorption, for bottom fishing my terminal rigs are mono and I use flouro or mono leaders on spinning rods.

I think that all the braided line you can buy in stores are made in just a couple of places and is comparable. You can find cheap Chinese braid online but I have heard rumors about it being hit or miss. I would buy from a reputable store just for the confidence factor.

·
Big Ole' FAT
50 Posts
I like Suffix Performance the best out of all the ones i've tried. It's good stuff and will last quite a while. While the upfront coast may be more...you can use that spool of line a lot longer...and then even reverse it on the spool to get more use out of the part that didn't see the daylight. IMHO ... in the end it's less expensive.

Use a leader. Either 100% Fluoro Carbon (ie. not flourcarbon line which is a co-polymer) or use heavy mono for leader. For size leader, for bay fishing I use 30lb braid with 20lb leader for most things. If i'm fishing heavy structure i'll move up to the 25 or 30lb 100% Fluoro leader. It's more expensive, but way tougher. If you're just in open water, the mono leader will be fine.

For panfish use 20lb braid on spin cast, for bay fishing for trout and reds 30lb braid on casting or spinning. Tarpon, snook, or big reds 40lb + braid.

The reason I liked Suffix more is that it was the easiest to get backlashes out of the casting reel while learning, and it seems to fray less over the long haul. Expect most of the lines to take a couple trips to 'break in' before seeing if there is increased cast distance.

have fun
Tobin

·
Master of Disaster
3,042 Posts
While on the subject...

I like braid, and would use it more except for one big reason (while fishing inshore mostly)... wind knots!!! Tried a couple different brands, but at some point, sooner or later (depending on weather) I get knotted up :cursing:
Diawa, Spiderwire, Berkley....

I watch Addictive Fishing and see Blair using the Fins Windtamer version from time to time on windy days. Anyone tried this stuff?? (comments?)

Other than that (back to the subject), love the sensetivity, capacity, abraison resistance- use it for backing on all my offshore stuff- almost the best thing since sliced bread!

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Wirelessly posted

Will most braid hold up to a spinner shark, I'm looking for ways to stop getting broke off after the shark jumps and spins to break the line. I don't want to have a ten foot steel leader, then I couldn't cast it. Would a heavy braid tied onto my mono main line hold up?

·
Big Ole' FAT
50 Posts
I think you could use a heavy topshot of mono then have a short steel leader.

I have used Fins Windtamer. It's good line. Its more designed for casting reels. I tend to mostly get wind knots while using spinning reels. There seem to be 2 different types of wind knots. One where a loop comes off the spool and maybe catches or loops together tighter and becomes a knot in the line. The other is while working lures ..with or without wind... a section of line loops over a guide and gets stopped on the line guide as a knot. Those are really bad if ones rod is using spiral titanium guides..not fun.

The first with the spool has more to do with the amount of braid on the spool. I've found if there is too much (on a spinning reel) then you'll get those loops knots until the amount on the reel gets reduced to the right amount. This could take a while since braid last so long...or it can happen fast if one of those knots is bad enough you have to cut it. Either way, reduce the amount of line on the reel until it stops.

The loop around the guide happens more casting into the wind and working the rod with a twitching type rod action. Fins does help with that as its a little stiffer for longer because of the way it's produced. Eventually even it will wear and get soft and at that point it would be time to re-spool. Most of us don't cast into the wind very often so I find that's it's not that important. Most fishermen don't cast into the wind but perhaps less than 10% of the time. On the flats casting into the wind or at least quartering downwind will increase catch rates since wind driven current is moving downwind as well. Fishing completely downwind the lure is coming back "into" the current and that's not the most natural for an injured baitfish... so you'll draw more strikes casting quartering downwind or across the wind to the side. Yes, you will have to deal with an occasional wind loop over a guide... but I've found it to still be worth using braid.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I watch Addictive Fishing and see Blair using the Fins Windtamer version from time to time on windy days. Anyone tried this stuff?? (comments?)
I got 150yds of 15lb fins wind tamer spooled on my sabalos reel an i havent gotten but one knot in it since i got it about 4 months ago. Also i dont think the knot was from the wind, cause i use an albright knot (braid to flouro knot) an i think the little peice of flouro was too long an hung on the eye when i made a cast for a second causing it to knot. Its good braid but i also have power pro on 2 of my other reels. So its really just what kind you prefer.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts