Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I typically use a double uni knot for my braid to flouro/mono connections. Offshore, I typically fish with 100+ lb braid and 100+lb flouro/mono making the double uni knot large enough to get hung on the rod guides when bringing in fish. Is there a different knot that is smaller in diameter that would be better for bottom fishing? Thanks for any advice in advance.

·
Squid technician
10,484 Posts
Bob Sands or Bimini to No-Name knot. There's a ton of crazy-shit knots out there too that involve bobbins and stuff and sure they're strong but not very practical IMO when it comes to tying on a rocking boat.

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
I tie Improved Clinch to Improved Clinch. Then apply gel CA (super glue) and roll between fingers to smooth. CA is optional. I've never had one come apart either way. CA is just in case I hook a Whale Shark or something... It wont be my knot that gives. haha

·
Constitution Conservative
2,585 Posts
X2 Albright

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
dabutcher just saved that image to try tying later. Looks like it may ride better through the guides than the uni-to-uni I've used. I'm also gonna try that superglue trick.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
another vote for the alberto knot, I use it all the time as it's easy to tie and slides thru guides well. I have tested it on scales at home and while it breaks around 50% of the line strength, that still means more than 30lbs with my lines, far surpassing my drag settings.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I have used the Red Phillips knot; if the mono is closely clipped, it passes through the guides without any problems. Works on light spinning tackle up to 80-pound braid and fairly heavy mono or fluoro leaders. Lots of useful videos on You Tube.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I have used the Red Phillips knot; if the mono is closely clipped, it passes through the guides without any problems. Works on light spinning tackle up to 80-pound braid and fairly heavy mono or fluoro leaders. Lots of useful videos on You Tube.
I also use this knot for pretty much all braid to mono or fluoro connections. It has never failed me so I keep using it. Never had any backlashes casting it through guides either.

·
Registered
7,409 Posts
The Alberto and Albright are the same and the Red Phillips has an extra overhand knot in the mono, but same cinch wrap.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Bob Sands or Bimini to No-Name knot. .
:thumbsup:

I use a bimini to double the braid - then a no-name/yucatan for double braid to mono/flouro -

After you set it real hard - you can trim the no-name up real close to make it slide throught guides easier

1 - 20 of 33 Posts