Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

Braid recommendations for shark fishing...

23K views 27 replies 15 participants last post by  fishninmysoul 
#1 ·
I'm putting together a 6/0 and 9/0 for sharking and was curious what the more experienced sharkers on the forum would recommend for line set ups? I'm planning braid with a mono topshot but I'm not sure what test line would be best or what brand. I've heard a lot of good things about PowerPro but I've recently come across a handful of negative reviews of the stuff too.

Thanks for your time and input!

Hunter

#13 ·
The last roll I bought was 65# and you could break it with your hands directly off the spool it came on. It never went on my reel. I was also burnt another time about 2 years before that. But I did buy 1 roll in between these two that was good, Believe it was 50#. I've bought 3 spools of it in my lifetime. 2 were bad. Don't waste your money on that shit.

#15 ·
Try it then. Maybe you will get a good roll. I hope it works for you and you don't regret it.

BUT

There are severall different brands out there that you could buy and not have to worry about getting a bad spool.

#17 ·
Jerry Brown braid is top quality stuff. If you've got the money it is worth it to get the hallow core, and splice the mono top shot into the hallow braid. If you don't know what that means, it's takin the mono and running it through the middle of the braid, using a needle and making a knot out of that, look it up if you're interested, it's hard for me to explain. JB braid is a lot smoother than power pro in touch.

#21 ·
My 9/0 has 500 yards of 80lb braid and 100lb ande on top.

Powerpro is perfectly fine under 100lbs. I use it on all my spinners and I've never had an issue. It's actually on my 9/0 too that gets yakked out and it's held up against sandbars. It's perfectly fine.

#22 ·
Like I mentioned in another thread, I just bought 1500 meters of 100 lb "power pro" from China off Fleabay fer 79 bucks to line my twins. Kinda scared due to "hearing" crap about it...I read the reviews and the majority said that it proved great results. No mono topshot, cause ifin I get 1 that strips 750 yards, I don't wanna catch it!!!!

#23 ·
Wirelessly posted

5ANDMAN said:
I have 2 internationals a 70 vs and a 50 sw I'm concerned is these reels can stand up to braid without getting stripped. I'm targeting sharks as large as I can get. I want braid with a top shot and backing of mono. If anyone has any recommendations please contact me at jeffhelton30@gmail.com
Why do you want mono - braid - then mono?
Just go braid - mono top shot

Try looking into hallow Dacron, you can have the mono spliced into it with no knot. I have 700 yards of green spot Dacron spliced with 500 yards of mono top shot.

#24 ·
Wirelessly posted

Why do you want mono - braid - then mono?
Just go braid - mono top shot

Try looking into hallow Dacron, you can have the mono spliced into it with no knot. I have 700 yards of green spot Dacron spliced with 500 yards of mono top shot.
You should usually put a small amount of mono backing before braid so the braid doesn't slip. Don't necessarily have to, but it helps.

#28 ·
My buddy has a penn battle 800 with over 400 yards of 50 pound power pro and this past Sunday he landed a huge nurse shark. It took him about 2.5 hours to do but he did. I was there and witnessed every single second of it. That nurse weighed well over 200 pounds. I have pics but don't know how to load them from my iPhone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.