Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This summer I switched to braid for my bigger rods (kayak'd baits). I have had problems. Twice, I simply reeled in the line frayed....no mono, nothing. Then I got a strike but broke the line easily. I believe kings, spanish, blues or some teethy critter is biting my line, but never had this proble with mono. Also, heard the bars can literally wear out the line, but I don't see that with 100# braid. Thoughts? About to switch back to mono for life!

·
Registered
7,303 Posts
Only times I've ever had this happen was from Kings and a cracked guide. Take a piece and go around each eye, sometimes you can't hardly see them.

·
Your mom's a
6,790 Posts
If you're using swivels to attach your main line to the leader, there's a very good chance that Spanish or blues are biting that and breaking you off.

What do you mean by bars as far as wearing the line out?

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I agree with Lastcast, definitely check all of your guides for chips in the ceramic. That can definitely be causing what you describe.

Good luck,
Alex

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
What brand braid? Power Pro?

Lastcast is probably right on in your case but i've had braid failures when everything was perfect with PP.

JoeZ has a good point that's why I tie braid to leader with reverse albrite or uni knot.

Jimmy

·
Your mom's a
6,790 Posts
It is true too that PP and every other brand out there will make a bad run every now and then. Maybe you got a bad spool.

Tie a 10 foot section to a tree or work bench or something. Wrap the other end around a short piece of broom handle, dowl rod or something else and pull like hell. If it breaks, bad line. If not, check your guides.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Short list of what it can be, bad line, chipped guides or fish biting the swivel. When jigging I don't use a swivel. double uni, Bob Sands and lately a reverse albright. The RA is the smallest knot of the three especially if you finish it with 3 half hitches. I haven't had any of these fail.

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,547 Posts
What brand braid? Power Pro?

Lastcast is probably right on in your case but i've had braid failures when everything was perfect with PP.

JoeZ has a good point that's why I tie braid to leader with reverse albrite or uni knot.

Jimmy

Amen to that Jimmy.

·
Premium Member
9,859 Posts
No PowerPro for me thank you.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am going to learn to trust a few knots and move away from the large silver barrel swivels...I am confident kings are hitting this. 100# power pro. The guides appear smooth and without fault. "Bar"...I was referring to the sand bar. I have heard that beaches w alot of shells can wear down the line as it drapes over sandbars. Thanks for the advice guys.

·
Your mom's a
6,790 Posts
I don't think your 100 pound line has anything to fear from seashells. Large silver swivels are a favorite food of small toothy fish however and I'd bet a dollar on that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts