Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I went out of Ft Morgan today and hit some of the oil rigs. While I was there I saw a ton of spadefish. I was on a friends boat and didn't have any of my inshore tackle, so I didn't bother even trying to catch them. I think if I'd of had my bow I could have piles of them. So my questions are, In Alabama can I shoot spadefish and can I have my bow and my rods on the boat at the same time? I usually only shoot carp. Being that they're a nuisance. I thought this may be a fun way to get some spades and I just want to be 100% sure I'm within the confines of the law.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I will definitely try it next time I catch one. I’ve been trying many different fish that I never would have before.
So far my list includes remora, hard tail, Bonita, lady fish, glass minnows, and sand fleas. Not all were “ great “ but all were edible.
And everyone’s idea of good is different. Coffee smells like skunk and slightly bitter but you get used to it over time.
I did try grilling threadfin herring while I grilled a whole pompano. Pompano delicious!!!!! I actually couldn’t swallow the piece of herring and got a bone stuck in my throat for a minute. Won’t try that one again.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Someone told me it was decent table fair. I really have no clue. I'm am inshore fisherman. My knowledge of saltwater fishing ends after a few hundred yards off the beach.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I will definitely try it next time I catch one. I’ve been trying many different fish that I never would have before.
So far my list includes remora, hard tail, Bonita, lady fish, glass minnows, and sand fleas. Not all were “ great “ but all were edible.
Out of that list what was the best tasting fish?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Remora not much meat and they stink but almost like cobia. Hard tail was good as ceviche. Glass minnows tasted like fried smelt. Only like Bonita sushi the same day. I tried smoked, grilled and cooked fully to make it as tuna salad. Sand fleas were just ok until I got one full of sand. I would say best is lady fish when made into nuggets like the you tube videos. My wife is not a big fish eater but likes the lady fish. She wouldn’t try any of the other offerings.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Remora not much meat and they stink but almost like cobia. Hard tail was good as ceviche. Glass minnows tasted like fried smelt. Only like Bonita sushi the same day. I tried smoked, grilled and cooked fully to make it as tuna salad. Sand fleas were just ok until I got one full of sand. I would say best is lady fish when made into nuggets like the you tube videos. My wife is not a big fish eater but likes the lady fish. She wouldn’t try any of the other offerings.
Very surprised by the remora being good. I figured hardtail must be good since people keep them by the cooler full. I plan on trying my next bonita I catch

·
US ARMY 2d ID VETERAN
3,071 Posts
Not going to say what nationality my neighbors were, but 1 neighbor swore they ate their cat and other "missing" neighborhood cats. Anyway I stopped by their house 1 day to see if they wanted any fish I'd caught. The guy said yes, and started taking my fish, All of them, snapper, mahi mahi, kings and some spanish. I figured they needed them and didn't object. Then he saw my nearly full box of cigs. I'll never forget, He said "ahh very delicious, you give to me"? WHAT, that's what I catch these big fish with. Ahh, yes, yes, very delicious. What could I say? Sure man, if you're going to eat them, take them. They invited me to eat dinner a few days later. Sure enough, there in the center of their table were my cigs on a large dinner plate, Baked Whole and heads pointing to the center of the platter with a bowl of some green looking stuff. No, not guacamole and it was nasty. Trying not to be disrespectful, I held my breath ate it fast and chased it with water. That was the 2nd mistake. Ahh, you like it, here, I give you more.... damn, being nice doesn't always pay off down the road. No I did not eat the cigs. But they must have been good, they didn't last.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I lived in Venezuela for a few years. I remember my cook being so happy for getting a sack of sardinas from a fisherman. It was a sack of big LY's lol. I watched them eat ladyfish, jack crevalle, and tarpon. I did and still do eat hardtail. Capibara is like pig, I will eat iguana all day, armadillo is awesome until you find out its armadillo. Got suckered at the chinese place on goat ribs. It was dog. Sun dried iguana eggs and a coconut filled hot rum is the bomb! Sea urchin is interesting...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts