Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Wicked Awesome
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recently aquired this bow, and was trying to get some info on it. I know nothing about bows, so I figured this would be the place to learn. Here are some pictures I took. Like I said, I know nothing about bows, so I have no description other than what you can see. I want to know if it is a good bow, and what it can be used for. Thanks for any help I can get. :thumbsup: O*D*W

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
Oneida bows are a little different.
http://cponeidaeagle.com/

I have a long draw length, hard to find a bow that I can use, and even harder several years ago. Had one for a number of years. Now you are going to get people to say you cannot use it for deer. BS. It is longer than a compound, but I had no problem using it from a tree. Alot of people use them for bow fishing. You don't have to bring it to full draw to fire effectively. Target shooting etc. Has a lot of overdrawing freedom so a close draw length will still let you shot easily. Parts are still available and easy to work on yourself. No press is needed. Oneida will still work on the bows, and swapped my limbs out at no charge, other than shipping. I needed longer limbs. When I got it back it had new cables on it too.
Very forgiving to shoot. I liked mine and wish I wasn't forced to sell it.
The "brand" elitist are going to tell you that the only bow that will do what you want it to will be their brand, but seriously that bow will do just fine. If you need any help with it just let me know.

·
Wicked Awesome
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, D Shane. Im not sure what I will do with it. I got it on a trade. And since it was something very unfamiliar with me and something I have never had, I decided I would get it. Can I get a fishing reel atatchment for this bow, you think?

·
Wicked Awesome
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I checked out the website you posted, D. Im guessing I have the Eagle II in flat black.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Absolutely you can put a bow rig on it. Very fun. Arrows curve up after impacting water so aim low. You can buy the kit or piece by piece it. I don't like the actual reels that most of the kits come with. Looks and feels just like a closed face fishing reel. I use a wheel. Just a round rim like wheel that the string wraps around and you manually wrap the line back on instead of "reeling" it in. With a big enough fish, the reel is useless.
Great bow to use for fishing since no cables to get in way of line attached to arrow.
Sights are almost pointless for fishing but you can use them. Hard to even sight in, and with arrow deflection, it easier to just eyeball it.

·
Wicked Awesome
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
D Shane, thank you for all the info. I have one other question for you. What kind of line and arrows do I use? I know you mentioned a kit, but if I were to make my own 'wheel', do I need fishing line, or some sort of twine? Specialty arrows? I know, i lied, 3 questions. Sorry. O*D*W

·
Registered
64 Posts
Specialty arrow. Fiberglass--no fletching. Special fishing point. For line I use, for a lack of proper name, string line. It's in a roll like kite string, used in construction to pull a line for straightness, found in hardware areas. You'll want a safety slide for the arrow as well. It's were the line attaches to the arrow. Don't need a special rest, but you can get one. Roller rests are popular, but arrow is easy to fall off when aiming down steeply. I use a whisker biscuit.

Large kits have everything you'll never need.
Cameras & optics Camera accessory Camera Photography Technology
Above has a different style reel that is more like a crank instead of a reel. Much better than a reel.
Vehicle

Personally, I'd get a cheaper style kit.
Wall clock Clock Circle
has all the basics and will save 50% than buying individually.

The reels are not bad. They function fine, but big carp, black drum, etc. you'll be using your hands anyway. Sometimes the jug that holds the line for the reels will tangle and cause the arrow to drop short. Never had that happen with the wheel style. Stingray, flounder, mullet etc. reel will be just fine.
Large black drum or carp or something....pull a good amount of line and tie it to the dock or boat cleat. those thing will YANK !!!

·
Registered
64 Posts
For making your own gear... go for it. Plenty of sites that show homemade bowfishing gear. Soda bottles, shoot thru wheels, etc. Don't really need a fiberglass arrow for that matter. Seen alot of people use carbon.
I don't use the string wheel for every shot. I just let the line hang, and only wind it back up for storage really.
But anything you make as opposed to buying--- you'll have more fun with. Hell, I have more fun mullet shooting with my sling shot than with the bow.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts