Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For you outboard enthusiasts...here is what is hopefully an easy to answer question.

1999 Mercury 150hp outboard. Was last run about a year and a half ago. Was running like a champ with no issues when I last run her. Had a full tank of gas in the tank for over a year that I had pumped out. Shipped the boat cross country when I retired and now I am ready to haul up some grouper. Question is when I get the tuneup done, any recommendations on what and what not to replace as it sat so long?

When I called up (won't say who), I was hoping for a $200-300 range. After speaking to him, it was recommendedgetting close toa grand. Was advised to remove the H2O pump, rework the powerhead,and do the tuneup. Am a bit ignorant on outboards and truly don't want to get took to the cleaners based upon my ignorance.

Side note question, with the gas that was pumped out, would yall recommend putting anything in with the fresh gas in case there was any residual? They stated that it should be fine without any additives.

Would greatly appreciate your advice.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Could be water in tank from storage after gas was removed so be sure to check water seperator.Had you coated the carbs before storing? Did THEY say anything wrong with starting it up before these repairs? Water pump could be bad but not always.

Explain what they meant by reworking power head??????

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
We can do a 100 hour/annual here for 285.00 plus parts and tax... usually around 340.00, as as far as I know we have a pretty good reputation...:usaflag

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hook (10/29/2007) Could be water in tank from storage after gas was removed so be sure to check water seperator.Had you coated the carbs before storing? Did THEY say anything wrong with starting it up before these repairs? Water pump could be bad but not always.

Explain what they meant by reworking power head??????
Didn't drop off the boat as of yet. Was all over the phone this am. Wish I knew how to do it myself as I have all the time in the world since retiring from the Navy, just not the know-how.

Didn't coat the carbs...will need reworked probably. Have no clue what he meant by reworking the power head, again thanks to my ignorance I was just writing as he talked.

I do appreciate all the info guys. My Dad will be here at the middle of next month and unfortunately he has a terminal illness. Wanted to get him out on a grouper trip that he would love and enjoy for the time that he has left.

Cheers

·
Registered
185 Posts
Second that reccomendation for Kenny at Emerald Coast. They have always treated me well and fixed what they said the would!:bowdown

·
Registered
269 Posts
Seq. is a good guy he quoted you a $$ figure and it sounds good when somebody will tell you what they are going to do and for what price. I would change plugs, water pump, lower end gear oil and clean carbs. Then I would go take pops out fishing. If the merc isn't doing what you want take pops on a charter. I still remeber the last time I got to go with my PaPa he was in a wheel chair and Brooks Hine lake in Al. was the only place I could think of to get a wheel chair out to catch some fish. The big guy up stairs was looking after us that day because I could not get to fish due to all the fish Papa was catching. :clap

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Sorry to hear about your dad's illness, I hope & pray he is doing OK. Spend the $$ to get boat repaired, take dad out many times as you can. Even short trips or bay fishing, you will always remember this. Take some pics too.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks all for the advice. Am dropping it off in the am. Will be looking forward to getting back out on the water here soon even though snapper season just closed. Will be a great time regardless for my Dad am sure.

Thanks again to all who chimed in.

For the gent that asked about the gas smell, honestly I didn't even think it would be fine so I put it on Craigslist in San Diego for freeand a guy came over and pumped it out into his car, his wife's car and a container. He drove off fine so am guessing it couldn't have been too bad. I did warn the guy that it might not be any good, but he said that he did this for a living??? Dunno. Boat should be empty now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts