Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm using a penn 5/0 to fish for grouper, snapper and am looking for a smaller rig. Would like to have something around the size of my Ambassadeur 5500 that would hold @150 yards of 50 lb. braid with gears and drag to match. What ya got?

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
There's a lot of good smaller reels out there but finding one the size of your Ambassadeur that will stop big bottom fish would be tough. I really like the Avet JXG2 and with 28 pounds of drag it has handled some big fish but even though it's light and small for a bottom reel, it's not a 5500c.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I'm using a penn 5/0 to fish for grouper, snapper and am looking for a smaller rig. Would like to have something around the size of my Ambassadeur 5500 that would hold @150 yards of 50 lb. braid with gears and drag to match. What ya got?
My rigs look the same. Although when trying for grouper, I’ll got to 80-100# braid. I used the standard egg sinker with a monofilament leader last season. I’m going to try the Carolina rigs everybody seems to love this year!

·
Registered
338 Posts
I'll second getting at Avet. I have the Avet MXJ6/4 Raptor and it's an absolute beast for it's size. I've pulled 65lb AJ's out of wrecks with this reel and it casts a mile. It's my go to jigging reel for blackfin tuna but I also use it for snapper. I have about 400 yards of braid on it and it'll handle almost anything short of a 200+lb fish. (even then if played right...you'll have a chance) https://www.avetreels.net/reels/mx-series-131/mxj-64-raptor-series-lever-drag-stand-up-reel.html

·
Registered
231 Posts
Accurate and Avet for size and amount of drag you can apply. I have also used the Penn International 975 (bait caster) effectively for snapper, scamp, blackfins, and smaller jacks, but it does not have the drag pressure that an Accurate has.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts