Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been working on my little project skiff for sometime now and it's getting close to being finished. Question: This is a Skiff (14')that I plan to pretty much stay in the Bay and Rivers with.... what bottom machine would you be looking at for this application?

·
Registered
869 Posts
I would want a combo unit with GPS so you don't get lost. Especially in the tall grass slews on the river and especially if you get a good ways upriver....

·
Registered
312 Posts
I would definitely geta GPS/fishfinder combo. If you are on a budget surf Craigslist everyday till you find one. You would be surprised what you can find on Craigslist. You might even find on that is more powerful than you wanted for the same price as a weaker unit. I have a smaller garmin fishfinder and it worked ok up to 150 feet but really couldn't tell how much I was missing till I got a furuno 582L sounder. Good luck and you definitely get what you pay for. Buy used!

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
For your application I recommend a Garmin 498. That is a combo unit. It uses Garmin's older tried and true format. I like it better than the new format.

You will not be able to buy one new. They are outdated.

You will however be able to find a Reconditioned or used one if you look enough.

I have bought reconditioned units in the past and there is nothing wrong with them.

You will not need a chip for this unit. It's all, already in there and installing a chip in this unit will not get you anything else than is already there. This is in the map function of the unit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts